• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Will his tail fall off?

celica_goddess

Mr. Slither's mommy
I got Mr. Slithers last November - my first snake ever. He is very healthy and happy and eats very well, and is growing good. Here's the problem. When he shed, the time before last, it came off in flakes and a small part didn't come off his tail. I didn't think that was something I should be concerned about. The last time he shed a few days ago it all came off in one peice but the tail part was still there and it seems sensitive. I took him to the pet shop where I got him to ask them about it. She said he shed like that because the humidity in the tank was too low (duh me) and to go home and soak him in warm water for about half and hour. The dead skin came off but now he's got this funky dried up thing that used to be his tail. It's small, maybe a quarter inch. I'm just wondering if it's going to heal or fall off. Thanks.
IMG_1230.jpg

Unless you or your snake possess the power to bring dead tissue back to life, it will fall off. It shouldn't be a big deal, but now you know the consequences of leaving retained shed on a snake's tail...

Is there anything I should do? It looks uncomfortable and it seems sensitive.

I wouldn't do anything except make sure that his cage is always clean. If you wanted to go a little overboard in the preventive side of things, you could put him on paper towel bedding until, and for a while after it drops off. Some may recommend a dab of neosporin on the tail-tip after the dead part drops, but I don't think that's necessary...

This happened to one of my snakes as well. I soaked her tail in a warm washcloth, and after about 5 minutes it had fallen off.

Back