• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Will Incense bother my snakes?

Thulsa

Purging is at hand
I on occasion like to burn an incense stick in my home. Will this bother my snakes? The stick is placed on the other end of the house from their room and I can close their door if need be.:confused:

I think there's some debate over this, but I would err on the side of caution and close the door and maybe open the window in the snake room.

I agree. Close the door, and open a window in the snake room. That might cause an URI in the snake(s) if exposed to that for a long period of time. Or on a regular basis.

my snakes dont seem to mind it at all. I burn incense sticks in the same room that are about once a week, have been for a couple years, no issues.

Just because they can't tell you they don't like it or that's bothering their one lung doesn't make it safe. I liken it to being in a room with smokers. We don't know exactly what damage may or may not be caused by second hand smoke, but why force your snake to endure the potential health risks? Even if it's just incense, why take the chance of harming your pet?

To the OP, close the door and open a window.

Just because they can't tell you they don't like it or that's bothering their one lung doesn't make it safe. I liken it to being in a room with smokers. We don't know exactly what damage may or may not be caused by second hand smoke, but why force your snake to endure the potential health risks? Even if it's just incense, why take the chance of harming your pet?

To the OP, close the door and open a window.
I second this. I don't even burn candles in my snake room because the chemicals and oils it releases into the air are harmful for them. Generally speaking, if it's something you wouldn't use around exotic birds, it's something you wouldn't use around reptiles.

I already have been closing the door. Their room is not part of the main house anyway so it can be sealed off with no problem.99 percent of the time the door is closed to get the temp up anyhow. Thanx for the input.

I do smoke incense sometimes but only in a different room. I'm also a smoker and refuse to smoke inside my house because it might harm my animals. I know, I know, I should just quite but hey I'm addicted and it makes me feel better. But that doesn't mean I have to takes my animals with me. ;)

Nobody knows what incense will do.
However, it always makes me think of the teflon studies.... where scientists heated teflon-coated pans in an enclosed room with birds to see how it affected the birds. The birds died.
I know teflon isn't good for me, or smoking, or incense. But, what isn't good for me could be deadly to a smaller animal. Or, it could be great for them, or neutral. Nobody knows.
My parents smoked in our house when I was growing up. My brother has asthma. Did they cause it? Did they make it worse? Or maybe the smoking had no effect. No one knows for sure. My mom feels guilty and my dad thinks it was fine.

It is all up to you what risks you take.

Back