• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

will my snake ever eat in front of me?

wisconsin

brandon
i've had my '06 snow (female) hatchling since last breeding season. my snake has never biten anyone or anything in front of me----the olny way she east is if the fuzzie is left overnight----do they grow out of this---when can i see her eat???????
any input appreciated

Unfortunately they all have their own different feeding habits, so it's difficult to tell if she'll grow out of it for you.

If you really want to see her eat, you could try feeding her in a small tank, putting it somewhere quiet and covering it with a towel to make it darker. You could try leaving her alone for 10 minutes and then gently lifting the towel. However, you do risk her potentially spitting the mouse out if she's part way through swallowing.

Sounds like you've had her long enough to have settled in OK. If she's really shy about eating, then she may never do the business with you watching. Best to leave her in peace, rather than put her off the idea of food.

I agree with Bitsy. Be happy that she eats! There are only about a million Youtube (and elsewhere) videos of corn snakes eating. ;)

I do something similar to what Bitsy recommended.

When it’s feeding time for Roxanne, I put her in a plastic Glad sandwich container to be weighed and fed. I put the mouse in the container with her and cover the container with a couple of sheets of paper towel. This allows me to view her from the side without lifting the paper towel off of the top.

I fed her on Sunday and she darn near ripped the tweezers out of my hand she struck so hard and fast. While I used to watch her digest her entire meal, I now use the time while she is eating to scrub her water bowl, refill it with fresh water, and give her enclosure a good going over.

Regards,
Steve

Back