• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Willow wood in vivarium?

proileri

I happened to find a bunch of cutdown willow nearby, and got a nice branch to use in a viv. However, willows contain a low dose of salicylic acid, and I have read that salicylic acid (aspirin) is toxic to Brown tree snakes if ingested orally, LD50 at levels of 640 mg / kg (= about 2 pills for a large adult corn sized snake). Then again, I've also read that snakes do hang around willow trees.

So does anyone use branches of willow in their viv? Have you noticed anything funny with the snake while using it?

Note: I don't think anyone should panic about it if they do have willow branches in their viv: there shouldn't be much salicylic acid on the surface of the bark, as it should be located in the green part of the plant beneath the bark. And even if there would be, an adult snake would have to eat 20-30 grams of bark to get a lethal dose. I'm more concerned that it might irritate the skin of the snake.

I would suggest you bake the branches at 250 F / 125 C for half an hour. Heating most plant based toxins above boiling temperature tends to render them inert. Most, but not all. It is also a good way to kill off any other pathogens which might be on the branches.

Secondly, don't give aspirin to your snakes. I have no idea how many willow branches are required to make an aspirin pill. I bet it is a lot.

Thanks Dave. I did do some research, and seems that salicylates are not any more toxic to snakes than they are to mice or rats, and that they are not very water soluble.

I can always test it on myself: I'm allergic to salicylates, and handling stripped fresh willows gives me a rash, so if it's safe for me it should be safe for smaller animals, too :)

It is, in most plants really. Salicylic acid is a pretty generic plant stress hormone, though some plants have more of it than others - in this case the trees in question probably have larger concentration to act as an anti-microbial agent.

Certain species of Willow (family Salix, where term "salicylate" comes from, I guess) are the traditional painkillers and skin cleaners, as they have high salicylic acid content. Modern Aspirin is salicylic acid that's acetylated, for stomach friendliness.

Back