• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

wondering

or1olesfan

crazy for corns
this is my first snake, and i've had him since friday. i just want to make sure some of his behavior is normal.

one thing is that, when i fed him, he happily gobbled down the pinky. but he did "constrict" it, like i thought he would, since they are constricters. is that a problem? the pinky was pre-killed, but i thought he would still wrap around it first.

2nd, he is always hiding. he never comes out into the open. when i put him back in his cage after feeding, he dashed for the closest cover he could find, then wouldnt move to his favorite hide till i left the room. i check on him often, just because it gives me something to do, and plus im a bit paranoid that he might escape. every time i check on him, he is in a hide.

he did come out one time. i was asleep in my room (where the tank is) and i woke up do some kind of cracking noise. i wasnt sure what it was. i turned back over and tried to get back to sleep, and heard it again. i realized my snake was on the branches in his cage, breaking off some dead leaves.

i went over to see what he was doing, and as soon as i turned on his light (i read that a day/night cycle is best for snake) he dashed back into the closest hide, and would not move to his favorite hide untill i turned off the light and went back to bed.

the last thing is a new habit that he picked up today. he now digs under the substrate, and i cant see him at all. i thought he would need his head above the substrate to breath, but i guess it has enough spaces in it for air to get through, because he gets his whole body under the substrate, and i cant see him at all.

are these behaviors normal? im especially concerned about his addiction to hides/ timidness. then again, maybe thats normal since i just got him 4 days ago.

please let me know what you guys think

this is my first snake, and i've had him since friday. i just want to make sure some of his behavior is normal.

one thing is that, when i fed him, he happily gobbled down the pinky. but he did "constrict" it, like i thought he would, since they are constricters. is that a problem? the pinky was pre-killed, but i thought he would still wrap around it first.

This is quite normal. Just be happy he is a good eater!

2nd, he is always hiding. he never comes out into the open. when i put him back in his cage after feeding, he dashed for the closest cover he could find, then wouldnt move to his favorite hide till i left the room. i check on him often, just because it gives me something to do, and plus im a bit paranoid that he might escape. every time i check on him, he is in a hide.

he did come out one time. i was asleep in my room (where the tank is) and i woke up do some kind of cracking noise. i wasnt sure what it was. i turned back over and tried to get back to sleep, and heard it again. i realized my snake was on the branches in his cage, breaking off some dead leaves.

i went over to see what he was doing, and as soon as i turned on his light (i read that a day/night cycle is best for snake) he dashed back into the closest hide, and would not move to his favorite hide untill i turned off the light and went back to bed.

Again, quite normal. Corn snakes are mostly nocturnal. Mine get very active just as the sun goes down. Some snakes come out a lot and some like to hide all the time. As he gets familiar and more comfortable with his new home, he may come out more.

the last thing is a new habit that he picked up today. he now digs under the substrate, and i cant see him at all. i thought he would need his head above the substrate to breath, but i guess it has enough spaces in it for air to get through, because he gets his whole body under the substrate, and i cant see him at all.

Another normal behavior. :)

You have a very normal corn snake! I hope this helps. If you have more questions, be sure and ask them here. There are many knowledgeable. helpful people here.

im especially concerned about his addiction to hides/ timidness.

All normal, especially an "addiction" to hiding. If Corns sat out in the open in the wild, they'd most likely be eaten by something. They can be very secretive, especially when you first get them home. It's just their instinct to stay safe.

Hopefully as the weeks and months go by, he'll get used to you and start to get comfortable about being out in the open when you're around.

Having said that, all of mine do spend most of their days asleep under their hides, so don't expect yours to become very entertaining.

I thought a lot of the same things when I first got my snake, not too long ago, but I read tons of threads here and found out that for a baby it is normal and even healthy to be in a hide. Though now my snake has been here for a month and I bought some fake plants for the viv, she will sometimes sleep on top of her favorite hide, under some plants. I can just see her now curled up in a little snake ball.

thanks for helping guys.

another question: several of you guys' sigs say things like "0.0.1 amel corn Rosie Snakeypants, 2.2 Angelfish Khali, Louie, Josie, and Cleo, 0.2 Bristlenose Plecs Thing one and Thing Two, 0.0.5 YoYo loaches, 0.2 Nannacara Anomala, 1.0 Betta Betta, 0.0.Million N. Multifasciatus "

how can you have 0.0.1 snakes? or 2.2 snakes?

PS is there a special name for a normal corn? one that isnt like a snow corn or creamsickle or anything else, just normal?

Well, I have 0.0.1 snake because I do not know what the gender is of my one snake. If I had two snakes, one male and one female it would be 1.1 snakes. If I had three, one of each gender and one I wasn't sure of the gender it would be 1.1.1. The others are just the fish I have, I was being silly. I have four angelfish, two of each gender, hence 2.2.

Normal corns can be called "Classic" or "original" or "wild type"

wow you guys have a lot of snakes. my mom would never let me get that many.

but then again, im guessing most of you guys are old enough that you dont live with your moms

Yep, perfectly normal behavior. Just wanted to check if you treated the branches before putting them in the cage? If I remember correctly, which I sometimes do, you want to soak wood any wood you collect yourself in a bleach water solution so you don't transfer mites or other little pests into the cage. Hopefully someone else can give more details on this. I just buy my cage furniture at the pet store because it's safe and looks nicer anyways. Also, have you seen the racks they have at AnimalPlastics.com? You can keep several snakes is a small area! :dgrin:

i treated the branches by popping them in the over for half an hour. i heard that would kill any mights or anything else on the branches.

but then again, im guessing most of you guys are old enough that you dont live with your moms

I am old enough, but still live with my parents.
They wouldn't mind if I have so many snakes as long it won't kill
my parent's cat.
Don't forget about girlfriend or a wife, they may not let you have more than one snake, same as my girlfriend, I have 2 snakes and I wanted more.
My girlfriend won't let me have another one!
Corn snakes are addiction!

true, true. didnt think about that. maybe i could take all my stuff out of the shed out back and amke it inot a "snake shack"

but of cource, it would need better vinatalation. it could become a summer project...

Back