• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Worried about our new baby albino's terrarium... PLEASE HELP! :(

alabdullahn

So we just got our first snake yesterday. My bf handled him for a while after we brought it home. We set up the terrarium with a terrarium liner covered with about two inches of aspen chips, a water bowl, and a half log hide. After about 1 1/2 days of letting it get used to its new home, we took it out and fed it one pinkie. It took the food almost immediately and I immediately put it back in it's home. My problem is this: I used tape to adhere the UTH because the glue on it wasn't working very well and it kept falling off. We plugged it in and about five minutes later heard a loud pop coming from the bottom of the terrarium. If the glass is cracked, is it dangerous to keep the snake in there until it is repaired? It just ate and I'm worried that by turning the UTH off, I'm not allowing it to digest the food properly, especially since it just ate about an hour ago. If I leave the top light on overnight, I'm worried that it will stress the snake. What should I do?

Hello and welcome - sorry you've had such a traumatic start. Here's my advice:

- Leave the light on. No heat in winter on a full stomach, will be more of a risk than 24 hour light.

- Buy a new UTH AND a thermostat. The thermostat will prevent the UTH from overheating. Without one, most UTHs will get far too hot for a Corn.

- Buy a good digital or infra-red thermometer so that you can get an accurate idea of temperatures on the floor surface. You need to get the floor at about 85, which will feel barely warm to the human touch. With an unregulated UTH plus a light, your Corn is probably way too hot. That can cause digestion problems as much as temps being too cool.

- If the base of the tank is cracked (which would indicate that the UTH was far too hot), you can mend it with silicon aquarium sealant to make it safe for the snake again. You can adapt a cheap plastic tub as a temporary escape-proof home while the sealant dries.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Welcome to the addiction! Got any pics of your new one?

Defiantly get a new UTH and you need a thermostat.
-Skully-

Hi, Skully... :)

yes I do have some pics. They're not great but it's the best I could do since the little guy is so fast. Baby corn 2.jpg

Baby Corn.jpg

Back