• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Worried

Is the snake passing urates (white or yellow "lumps") or just passing a lot of liquid? How often is your snake peeing? And for how long have they been doing this? Does the substance they are passing have any strong smell or is it just like normal?

Also some other useful information might be, how old is your snake, how long have you had him/her, and when did he/she last eat a meal?

I personally have never heard of a snake having a bladder infection, so I'm sure it is not common, but I have no idea if they can or cannot get bladder infections.

If you are really worried and his/her behavior seems very unusual then a trip to the vet would be a good idea, but it could also just be some weird but still normal behavior that you have never noticed before.

And it's not a case of a tipped water bowl? Just thought I'd throw that out there...

I really hope everything is alright!

I took him to the vet a figured out the the wetness from holding him was actually a secretion from a burn he got from a hot spot on the heating pad. We are treating the burn twice a day and he should be just fine.

Considering the length of time you've been on this site (long enough to have read/learnt that a stat is a must) I'm hoping this is a case of you having a thermostat & it being broken NOT that you've had your snake in an enclosure with an unregulated heatsource all this time.
I'm sorry your snake has been burnt, glad the query was sorted out and he's now being treated.

I have two. The whole tank is automated. The vet said sometimes there is just a spot on the heating pad that is hotter than the rest. He said it happens sometimes and that there wasn't a way to know until something like this happens. Apparently the heating pad was just faulty. I got a new one and put it on the side of the tank instead of underneath and it won't happen again.

Does your vet specialize in reptiles? Corns aren't known for laying on heat and getting burned. I've kept hot spots nearing 145 and never gotten a burn. From Don Soderberg's site:
The temperature of the glass atop the UT heater can be as high as 120° F (48°c), but since corn snake virtually NEVER lie upon or near such hot surfaces, damage to your snake should not be a concern. Some snakes (i.e. Ball Pythons) eagerly burrow beneath the substrate and have been known to die from burns received from such hot surfaces. In the 35+ years I've been keeping corns - and having kept at least 40,000 of them - not one snake was ever burned from UT heating devices.

Back