• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Worried

Yvonne112

Mom of HEI\IDRIX
I fed Hendrix a fuzzy last night, I thought that it was a bit large, but not to big for him. When he started eating it, I saw that it was bigger than I thought, and I'm really worried that he might regurge. He didn't seem to have to much trouble eating the fuzzy, but his skin just looked so stretched as it was going down. I actually crushed the head a bit before he got to it (he's a butt muncher). How long do I wait to see if he'll keep it down? I'm so worried about my little guy now. I'd hate to think I hurt him by giving him something that was to big. I know that the fuzzy should be about 1 1/2 times bigger than Hendrix, but I think it was a bit bigger than that really.
:crying:

Turn the heat up in his viv a little bit. the extra heat will help him digest faster. There is really nothing else you can do but make sure he is not messed with at all for the next few days.

Try not to stress too badly; what's done is done so there's no reason to worry yourself to death about it.

If you think it was especially big, leave him alone for a couple days. Don't give him any extra reason to feel stress. As far as I know, aside from over-sized prey, stress is one of the main reasons they regurge. So, just let him do his own thing for a couple days.

As for how long, typically they'll regurge sometime in their 24-72 hour digestion window.

Good luck, and I hope he does okay with it. Getting them back on a regular eating schedule after a regurge isn't something I ever care to do either. :)

thanks guys, I feel a bit better, he'll definetly be left alone for a few days, and I'll put the temp up just a bit. Keeping my fingers crossed!

You are welcome. Best wishes to you and just know if he regurges, its not going to cause him critical harm, just a minor set back. But get those temps up and maybe he wont.

I did this exact same thing a few feeds back. I thought the mouse was the right size, maybe a touch on the large side but not TOO large. But when Connor had swallowed it, the lump alarmed me so much I wondered if I'd handed him the python's mouse by mistake!! :eek1: Well, he digested normally, did not regurge, and was absolutely 100% fine. Don't worry, just let him digest and see what happens.

I had the same prob with anubis last feeding. the pinky was a lot bigger then usual. and didn't really notice until i fed him. But i left him alone fer a extra 24 hrs. 72 hrs in total and he was perfectly fine. i just let my temps get a lil bit higher then usual. oh and yvonne i just sent you a IM. good luck.

Wow....I'm starting to feel much better about him now... thanks so much for the replies. It's good to know I'm not the only one's who's ever done that !

NEWSNAKEOWNER... I got your IM and I'll get back to you on that shortly, just going to check a couple for you.

I was trying to find a pic of Maizey that shows what really stretched is, but I'm at work, so I only have what's on Photobucket. But here's a pretty stretched (wild) snake!

snake_02_600.jpg

Nanci

Thanks Nanci...yep, that's pretty much what Hendrix looked like after he ate the fuzzy. Is that bad?

Nope. Snakes are made to be stretchy so they can swallow big stuff that comes along. I bet that snake in my picture has a squirrel or big (like robin-sized) songbird in him.

Nanci

Really? So do you think I should keep feeding him something that size if he does o.k. with it?
I'm so happy right now, I feel like jumping for joy...except that everyone in my office would wonder what the heck was wrong with me !! LOL

Well, you said he swallowed it without too much trouble. I've seen Inez gag stuff back up when she couldn't get it down, and then I've decreased the size of her prey. (But kings and milks have smaller heads than corns.) I'd say if it hasn't come back up by tomorrow night it's not going to, and I would continue with that size.

I'll get a picture of Lila next time I feed her- every time I think "OMG, I've over done it" and she's always fine. (I'm feeding her by the Munson chart.)

Nanci

I did the same thing with Syko. My fuzzies came in hopper size. It took him awhile to get it down but I left him alone and he was just fine!

Well he was fine last night, and still looking good this morning, so I'm relieved. I guess that it wasn't to big for him after all, because he didn't seem to gag or anything when he was eating. Maybe I'm just not giving him enough credit, you know, we always baby our youngest!!
Hendrix was probably thinking "Finally, she gave me a decent meal" :eats02:
Next time around I'll take a picture while he's eating.

I'm glad he's okay!! I think we do tend to underestimate what they can handle, I'm sure in the wild they don't measure up and weight their meals each time :crazy02:

:roflmao: I can just picture these wild snakes with their little scales ready to weigh out their prey !!

I truly hope it works for you!!
I've tried my smallest to go to fuzzies 3 times
in as many months and with in 24hrs she regurged them .
She'll keep pinks down no prob.
Not trying to be the darkside just adv it's no the end
either..
GOOD LUCK

I've misjudged mouse sizes before and fed mice that were probably way bigger than the snake should have had but other than taking longer to digest there has been no problems. I wouldn't make a habit of it but the guidelines recommended by most care sheets or deans famous chart do aim a little to the side of caution so you shouldn't be too worried if you go a little bit bigger. If the lump from this mouse is pretty much gone in 3 days I'd probably stay at that size. If you can see it still noticeably after 3 days, then I'd give it something smaller. Again, caution is better than pushing the limits.

Back