• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

worrisome hatchling weight?

My nautley was a 3 gram baby. I fed her pinkies cut in half *lengthwise* because they collapse down easily.

I have grandbabies already??? PICS!! It's easiest to split LW while the pink is still frozen. Then just thaw one half. It's messy, but the snakes don't mind.

Aw- a little plasma!! And glad lavender proved out!!

And that stripe is quite odd looking. AFAIK, there is NO motley involved.

And are you okay with what to do with the egg stem baby? I'd let it dry out (with the baby on damp paper towel) and then snip it off leaving about 1/4 inch. It will shed right off. Trimming it prevents it from getting caught and pulling more out.

HOh the link worked? Great!

Nanci... you should see the second stripe! Haven't taken pics of him yet. And still 5 more eggs to go! So far 1 plasma, 2 diffused stripes, and 4 diffused, 12 eggs total. Quite a few of them have crawled out with "attachments" I put them in a deli cup with wet paper towel until I see it has worked itself off... in fact I haven't taken pics of the second stripe because it made its way out of the egg with yolk and ALL still attached. ..

The link didn't work but I figured it out. I wonder why they are hatching/leaving the eggs early? And happy stripe proved out, too. With any luck their sister will be laying in a couple weeks. But she is bred to a different male, not a clutchmate. Mom is also due to lay soon.

Well, its day 58 incubated at 84.5-85.3 (incubator fluctuations) is that drastically early? I expected 60 to 63 days or so...

Also, the stripe that exited with the yolk was also desperately trying to find water to drink... maybe his umbilical cord isnt working properly and soaking up the yolk?

Wow, that's early. Most of us prefer to incubate more in the 80-82 range. It takes longer, but the hatchlings are bigger and have less deformities.

Treat the eggs like barbecue! Low and slow is best.

Yes, I will definitely be doing that next season. This is my only clutch this season so I'm done now, but next season I want to take a much slower approach. I think I will worry a lot less that way. I was told 84 to 86 was ok, and while that works it was just too nerve racking for me!

Yes, I will definitely be doing that next season. This is my only clutch this season so I'm done now, but next season I want to take a much slower approach. I think I will worry a lot less that way. I was told 84 to 86 was ok, and while that works it was just too nerve racking for me!

Umm..... 84* would be my MAX temp!!

The Only time 86 should ever pass your lips, is if the clutch is infertile....and

you....'86 them.... into the trash...or onto the King Snake's dinner plate! :)

Lol! Thanks Rich! Like I said, high temp "cooking" is not for me, I tried it and I didn't like it! I will be more than happy with about 80-81 next season (since 1 degree is what my incubator fluctuates) that way I KNOW I will never be worrying constantly that they've overheated...

Bah! I cook at 86 every year and I've only ever produced one kinked animal. Hatchlings on day 54 don't bother me, and since some of them have come out weighing 12 grams, well, it's proof enough for that 86 is fine.

The no kinks thing isn't true after this season, but I had a thermometer malfunction that went unnoticed (human error) and I cooked at 90. So it doesn't ruin my record when cooking at 86.

Back