• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

WOW!!!!!

dw662002

ok so this is my 1st time ever breeding feeders and i got a 1:4 colony about a month ago. next thing i know all 4 females appeared prego. 1 was as big as a racket ball. in the past 2 days they all gave birth to 46 pinkies. i put them all in the freezer and plan to do the same for about 2-3 more litters and then raise about 3-4 litters for fuzzies and so on and so forth. now for you seasoned breeders does that sound a decent liter size say for a 1:4 colony?

I'm not a seasoned breeder, but wow, that is awesome! We JUST got a 1:1 pair earlier this week. We'll be picking up a few more females over the next week or 2. We were just sitting here last night talking about the possibilities of how many babies that means at one time... 46 would be awesome for us, since between corns, boas & ball pythons we have 13 snakes and hope to expand our collection. Way to go... would love to hear how things progress for you!

A good method when a colony blows up like that is to cull down to 10 or so that the females carry on the caring aspect of the colony. For me they seem to get pregnant more regular this way. It just an observation nothing scientific.

Congrats on the colony doing so well

The most from 1 female for me was 17 live and 4 still born. Your numbers sound about right 8-12 per mouse on average. 46 is really a good number then.

I've found this happens quite often. Female mice will tend to estrus together, hence they get pregnant around the same time. The most I've ever had in 1 litter was 25, but that was really unusual. The avg is around 10-12, so I'd say yours did very well. I've found that they can only take care of around 30 babies effectively, mostly because the mothers don't tend to divide up the work evenly. Usually there is one super mommy doing most of the work and the others slack. so I usually try to keep no more than three females per cage. If they stick to the average litter size that size group works very well even if it happens that they all birth at once. Also, it's not a good thing to take all the babies away from a mother, as this can cause health problems for the mothers. I think it's called mastitis but don't quote me on that. I usually try to thin the babies out at an even rate as they grow larger.

Back