• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Yawning

Creeper

Hello - newbie here. First post. We bought Creeper for Christmas. Our first snake. He is the coolest little creature and has become very comfortable in his new home. I wanted to ask about a behavior that appears to be a yawn. Do corn snakes yawn, or is he in need of something we are not providing? Thank you.

Welcome & congratulations! :)
A very occasional yawn is probably nothing to be concerned about, however, frequent yawning is a sign that they are trying to get more air. Two reasons for this are: respiratory infection (RI) there are usually other signs such as a clicking or poping noise, mucus from mouth and a lack of tongue flicking. one of the other causes is sometimes just before a shed the skin causes a partial obstruction of the nostrils and you will see some yawning- but they will seem well otherwise.
hope this helps
:cheers:

Oh my. He does make the clicking sound. Thank you kindly for your quick response. He flicks his tongue normally and I have seen no sign of mucous. What causes a respiratory infection and how should it be treated?

Creeper said:
Oh my. He does make the clicking sound. Thank you kindly for your quick response. He flicks his tongue normally and I have seen no sign of mucous. What causes a respiratory infection and how should it be treated?

hmm im not exactly the best person to be answering this, an respiratory infection (RI) can be caught from a numerous of things, if theres too much dust in your substrate and it gets into their lungs could cause it, if they have a cold, which they can catch from humans, etc, a bit like how we get chest infections and asthma, i suppose.

im not too sure how it is treated, here in england we have no home remedies for it or anything so i personally take mine to a vet straight away to get it properly treated.
now i have never had to experience an RI in any of mine fortunately.

as you see no mucus and hes flicking his tongue fine, then maybe hes going to shed, they can do a bit of clicking or popping sounds as they are due to shed and the skin interferes with their nostrils. if he isnt due to shed then maybe it would be worth taking a trip to the vet, better safe than sorry i always say.
let us know how hesgetting on though.

btw, if im wrong with any fo this, please feel free to correct me. lol
hope this helps

If it turns out to be a RI, it will need an antibiotic injection, and probably some liquid antibiotic's for the water.

As missy said it could just be that a shed is imanant, and thats where the "clicking" is coming from.

I'm happy to report that Creeper seems just fine today. No clicking sounds and no excessive yawning. Thanks for your replies. We will feed her today. After further inspection we're pretty sure Creeper is a girl. She's a mighty pretty little girl too!

well im glad to hear that creeper!
aww i love girlies, my girlies are so much more dosile than my male, lol, your typical male he is (no offense to you human males though) LOL
:D

good luck with her
:)

I'm glad she's a female for you as their not as active as males and do tend to have a better temprament (I have 2 males and a female corn at the min), but my males are well behaved as well just a lot more active while handleing.

Let us know what happens after you feed her and if the "clicking" comes back or not.

hi, my names josh. in answer to ure question about ure new corn, if ure snake is yauning only just after you have fed him it is nothing to worry about as they often do this to reposition their jaw after having stretched it to feed. my corn does it 2-3 times after most feeds and he is in perfect health.

Back