• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

yawning...

norbert03

norbert and aelfric
last night i took aelfric out for play. his energy and swiftness has returned and i was not really concerning myself with his health anymore, but at one point he wrapped his tail around my finger and dangled himself freely for a minute and then his mouth opened so i gave him my other hand and he slithered up my wrist slowly and opened his mouth wide two more times. my first thought...regurgitation inevitable, PUT HIM BACK. i put him back in his enclosure and monitored him for a while and nothing came up. i decided to put him in his feeding container with a paper towel as bedding, a little water bowl and a toilet paper roll. i was gonna leave him in it over night, but after about an hour i concluded that it might stress him more so i replaced him in his regular tank. my reason for quarantining him was so i'd see the mouse sooner if it came up, he likes to dig into the substrate. as far as i can tell he never regurgitated a mouse. he ate on monday and was not handled until yesterday, he should eat tonight, but i might hold off. the question is...is there another reason why a snake would open wide its mouth other than to adjust it's jaw soon after eating or to vomit?

Don't think anyones done a study on snakes and yawning hehe...With ours it has always seemed to be just to work their jaws around, kinda stretch the mouth and realign the jaws...considering how important the bones and muscles of a snakes head are to it's survival yawning may play a bigger part of their lives than we suspect........or not ;*)

Is there any chance of an RI? Sometimes a snake will hang upsidedown to drain the lungs.

All of what was described sounds ok. IMO there's nothing in there to cause alarm. My snakes yawn about as often as I do. :)

As far as opening their mouth so far, it's not really a "stretch" for them to do so. I've watched a lot of snakes yawn with their lower jaw 180 degrees from their upper jaw (man, sometimes I wish I could do that!) and they usually wiggle each side of their mouth separately to get a good stretch, too. :)

Back