• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Yeah... it has begun!

I just bought an adult Charcoal female last week from the local pet store, she is nice and fat and ready to breed, I was trying to decide which male to pair her with and decided to go with my pastel ghost. Would be nice if they were both het for something so that I would produce something other than normals!! But most likely the offspring will be all normals het for anery, charcoal, and hypo. I put them together 2 weeks ago and showed no interest, so I took both out today, cleaned a 15 gallon, put new substrated down, fed the male (the female would not eat) and put them together with the light on and bam! We have a hook up! Yeah!! I can't wait, my sunglow male was getting anci tonight also, so I may have another hook up with him and my creamsicle female!

I just bought an adult Charcoal female last week from the local pet store . . . I put them together 2 weeks ago . . . and put them together [again] with the light on and bam! We have a hook up!

I know everyone's protocol for quarantine differs. For example, if I purchase a snake from a breeder who I know has impeccable stock and husbandry practices, and I pick-up or receive directly shipped to me, my quarantine period is usually shorter. If I purchase a snake at a show--even from one of these breeders--I will quarantine for longer (A lot of breeders will even quarantine their own stock that they bring back/did not sell after a show). If I purchase a snake from anywhere else--breeder whose practices I am not sure of or petstore (although I haven't bought a snake from a petstore in years), then I will quarantine for much longer and through increased observations of health and feces.

What I am getting at is--to each his/her own--but, not quarantining is one thing; actually having snake-to-snake contact with a non-quarantined snake is taking a lot of risks. I hope the best for you, but be forewarned of the risks associated with this type of practice--especially from snakes obtained from petstores.

I'm a little confused? You say you got an adult female charcoal last week, then you go on to say you put "them" (meaning the charcoal female and a male you already have?) together 2 weeks ago? The timing doesn't sound right, sorry.

And I have to agree with danvega, quarantine is always a very good idea, especially with snakes, or any reptile come to that, from an unknown source.

Without quarantine and a few weeks monitoring, you could be risking passing some unknown infection on to the rest of your collection.

Best wishes,

I am very aware of the importance of quarantining snakes. I have over 30 snakes and all are very healthy, mite and parasite free and have regular check ups from the vet. I purchased her from my friends pet store, she was in his personal collection for about 6 months and he was still planning on keeping her when I talked him into letting me buy her from him about 3 weeks ago. So she was definitely quarantined for a good period of time with of course me checking up her on almost a daily basis. I unfortuneately did learn that lesson the hard way when I was 18 and lost almost my whole collection from a snake that I bought at the show. This is why I will only purchase from certain people that I know at the local shows, who always have healthy specimens. And they are still quarantined. I will usually quarantine them for at least a month to two, sometime more, depending on the situation. And yes, I put her in with a male that I have had for about a year now.

I would like to thank everyone for their concerns and their advise though. She was not from an unknown source and she was quarantined, just not personally at my house. Truthfully, rereading my post, I would have assumed as soon as the word 'pet store' was brought up the same things that everyone else posted! I always stay away from pet stores, but he is a good friend of mine and has some pretty good connections and is very trustworthy.

I am sorry if I sounded a little hard, I didn't mean to be!

Just recently I have lost three new aquisitions to unknown causes (probably just failure to thrive) and am really pleased that i follow good quarantine practices myself, who knows what I may have brought in, if anything.

So after reading your last post and realising you have a good bit of common sense.......Congrats on the new pick up and I wish you a successful breeding season!

Best wishes,

Back