• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Yearling corn off feed (very skinny) Help...

Shakota

Hey everyone. I just bought some new corns and one that was given to me is very skinny and they said has been off feed for a month. It looks longer to me, but I would like any helpfull hints on getting a yearling to eat. She just got here last night and doesn't look like she has very long to go. I will be trying all of things that I can think of, but would love any info you might want to share. She was given to me because I bought all of his nonfeeders earlier this year and had great success with my patience paying off and getting all, but one to eat. Any info will be helpful. Thanks, Sarah :shrugs:

Sarah
be patient, you non feeder should feed for you. I just had a bull snake that stopped eating for almost 2 months and then just ate for me this week out of the blue. Just keep on trying every during every feed of your other guys. I am sure you have tried all the options of feeding this snake live feeds to just newly killed. I Would talk to the owner and ask how this snake was as a feeder before he gave it to you. Ask them if this snake had other odd problems as well. This is just to gauge how the snake is, past history is always good.

As for other tips on feeding the snake, do a search and see what pulls up. If not wait around someone more experienced with non feeders will post.
I just want to say don't panic on this. Your snake will be fine. As you probably already known, they can live for 3 months with out food.

The reason why I recommend feeding the same time as your others, is that if he doesn't eat, you can give the mouse to another snake. no need to waste a mouse.

tricksterpup said:
The reason why I recommend feeding the same time as your others, is that if he doesn't eat, you can give the mouse to another snake. no need to waste a mouse.
This may not be a good idea if there is something wrong with the non-feeder. It would also be a breach of quarantine protocol. :shrugs:

Sarah,

Sounds like you know what you are doing, so if he looks that bad to you, I would recommend getting him to a herp vet to see if something else is going on. Or possibly it has been longer than the previous owner thinks if they didn't keep really good records.

Roy Munson said:
This may not be a good idea if there is something wrong with the non-feeder. It would also be a breach of quarantine protocol. :shrugs:
Dean, thanks
I never thought of it that way. Some times the obvious just doesn't hit me off the bat.

Skinny yearling

Thanks for all the help. I'm not worried about waisting mice. I'm just worried about her eating.:eek:) Sarah

If you just received the snake on the 25th, I would give her a minimum of three days to settle in. Once she has stopped hiding and started investigating her new surroundings try feeding her a small meal. Good luck.

Shak,

I noticed (if others hadn't) that you said you had been successful getting non-feeders earlier to feed, so I'm assuming that you know the normal methods to try to encourage them.

My first advice is still to get this young snake checked to make sure nothing is wrong other than non-eating.

Then I suggest that you read this very long thread from start to finish...

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30056

It's everything that a very, very, very dedicated member of the forum used to get her little girl to eat successfully (she's still picky, but she's eating). I've bookmarked it so hopefully that I'll never have to use it :)

Skinny snake

She still hasn't eaten. I let her settle in. I've tried live, dead, F/T. She is active, but losing weight quickly. She has lost 14 grams since I got her on the 25th. Looks like I will have to force feed her. Any other ideas?

Oh the thread that was reommended wouldn't ever come up for me.

Shakota said:
She still hasn't eaten. I let her settle in. I've tried live, dead, F/T. She is active, but losing weight quickly. She has lost 14 grams since I got her on the 25th. Looks like I will have to force feed her. Any other ideas?

Oh the thread that was reommended wouldn't ever come up for me.
She lost that much weight after 6 days??? First double check the weight. how many Grams is she? But I would think there is something wrong with her if she is loosing weight fast. I would contact your local herp society and find a good herp doctor. Plus when was the last time she ate for the original owner??? I mean not feeding for you for this short of a time frame does not mean you need to force feed her. I would hold off a little longer if you can. Force feeding her will stress her out. This would be the last thing i would do. Like I said, I kept a Bullsnake that didnt eat for over 2 months and then BAM he ate a mouse for me. The weather has changed and I think this snake just doesnt want to feed right now.

The previous owner said a month, but there is no way it has only been a month. If she was fat and not eating for me I wouldn't worried, but she is way beyond that. She is skinny to the extreme. You can see her backbone from being sunken in. It is a matter of I don't believe she has another month to live without food or even a few weeks. She is that skinny!

Try scenting with a lizard. I found my difficult feeders responded to Anole scent like anything. Wash the pinky (or whatever you're giving her) and then dry well. Rub the head of the pinky in the anole mouth. I cool and then freeze the lizard so that I can use it over and over again. I too find it hard to believe that she's lost 14 grams in 5 days. I've had fasting males that have gone off food for 3 months and lost 50 grams but that's only 3 grams in 5 days if you break it down. My new hatchling lasted almost 3 months before I ended up euthanizing and it never took a meal from the day it was hatched. A yearling that had eaten up until then should be able to go more than 5 days without losing 14 grams. They should be able to go weeks before they lose 14.

Shakota said:
The previous owner said a month, but there is no way it has only been a month. If she was fat and not eating for me I wouldn't worried, but she is way beyond that. She is skinny to the extreme. You can see her backbone from being sunken in. It is a matter of I don't believe she has another month to live without food or even a few weeks. She is that skinny!

...sigh... get yourself to a herp vet. If she has a prominent backbone it may be too late. I waited way too long for our adult female and I'll never forgive myself to her.

Losing weight that fast is not normal and the herp vet can treat her and forcefeed her for you the first time if he/she feels it's absolutely necessary.

I agree. If she is losing weight that fast, there is something more that is wrong with her than skipping a couple of meals. Get her to a vet asap.

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you just got her too late. Too bad you weren't given her when she still had a chance.

Nanci

Back