• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

yesterday's new??

Renosgirl

Does anyone use this? I work in a vet's clinic so this stuff is really easy for me to get. Some of you may remember that I am having issues finding bedding that I am not allergic to and this stuff just popped into my head cause I know I am not allergic cause I use it daily at work.

For those who don't know what it is here is a link about it.

http://www.yesterdaysnews.com/

I would like to hear everyones opinions on this, thanks :D

I don't think that would be a huge problem. Provided you do not feed in the tanks.

Tons of people keep their snakes on actual newspaper, I would be a little more cautious about the possibility for ingestion with this for though.

If you feed outside of the tank, I say go for it. If you do feed in the tank, consider a feeding container.

There is really not much to the stuff but compressed newspaper. I see people using it as bedding for different kinds of animals.

I use to use it for my mice, until I found things in it. Like hard pieces of plastic, staples etc. If you do use it look through it pretty good. It's made from recycled paper, and not everyone removes staples from their paper before recycling it.
This is an old artical and I hope they fixed the problem aka stopped adding shop sweepings into the machine that makes it into pellets
http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/yesterdaynews.html

ya I will be feeding in a different location so that is no worries.

I like the carefresh products but it is pretty expensive, this stuff I can get a 30lbs bag for 11 dollars....

I use to use it for my mice, until I found things in it. Like hard pieces of plastic, staples etc. If you do use it look through it pretty good. It's made from recycled paper, and not everyone removes staples from their paper before recycling it.
This is an old artical and I hope they fixed the problem aka stopped adding shop sweepings into the machine that makes it into pellets
http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/yesterdaynews.html

I use this product for the past year and a bit at vet clinics and I have never found anything in it. But if I do decide to use it I will for sure look through it all before putting it in

Another question

What about just using shredding paper? I can have my hands on a lot of it for free from work...but it is paper that is from a printer so therefore it has ink on it.

But if it is okay to use newspaper that has ink on it, then it should be alright to use normal printer paper with ink right?

Yes, but then again, printed paper towels are supposed to be bad so... It must be the kind of ink. Someone needs to find out.

I use both printed paper towels and regular news paper without any problems. The key is to limit the possibility of ingestion.

It's sort of funny when my white snakes get their newspaper wet. The ink can transfer a bit and they turn rainbow colors, but a simple wipe down with damp rag fixes it.

I've been using both, and I feed in the tubs, for years without a single problem. Ask long as they are not eating the paper, they are okay.

Before I use the newspaper I let it "age" a bit. Stock pile a bunch, keep in a dry area and let it sit for a few weeks before you use it. This lets the ink set and it's less likely to transfer.

Sure! If you wanted to do that, cut long strips, then crumple it. They may push some in the water dish, but just keep a good eye on it.

I don't exactly "shred" mine. I lay down a few flat layers, then crumple up some pieces they can burrow under and use for hides.

One of my ball pythons scoots a piece of the crumpled paper with him everywhere. He's like a hermit crab. LOL!

ok sounds like a plan for me. Its free and it's not gonna harm my snake, no worries from me. And I plan to feed outside of the regular viv so I don't have to worry about ingestion.

Now what do I do with the repti-carpet that I bough several months ago :p

Now what do I do with the repti-carpet that I bough several months ago :p

Sometimes I use it as a "splat mat" when I'm doing something messy. Or under house plants.

I set water bowls on it to dry after I wash them. That stuff seems awesome, but just not too practical. Some how I keep getting free ones. :laugh:

when I first had the idea of getting a corn I got all excited and went out and bought one before doing any research on it :nope:

I can use it to put everything on when it is drying....or I can try and make a hide or something.....

Back