• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Yet another hello from Michigan

spartan0823

Hello to all!

I've been lurking around here for a couple of months and finally decided to register and introduce myself.

My name is Fernando, I was born in Brazil and now live in Michigan. I am currently going to school at Michigan State University.

I have yet to get a corn snake for a couple of reasons. First, I know that corn snakes are long-lived pets and I want to make sure I'm ready to commit 20+ years to a pet. Also, I want to make sure I know enough about the snakes themselves to provide them adequate care. And finally,I am I'm currently working on convincing my mother, who is deathly afraid of snakes, that a corn snake is a perfect pet. Which they are.

When I do get a corn snake, I plan on getting a blizzard or maybe a bloodred. I'm sure I'll be bothering you all with some annoying newbie questions.

Anyways, thank you and hello.

P.S. I meant for this to be short and sweet but I got carried away. Sorry.

Hi Fernando :wavey: welcome to the forum

This is the place to learn about getting a cornsnake. If you have any questions, be sure to ask them here.

haha! i had a break through with my mom tonight! she held and played with 2 of my snakes.. the little one she didnt like he was moving to much! but yeah i was actually really surprised. my dad and brother on the other hand are scared to death of them.. lol.

just make sure she knows that he will never get out. at least we hope.. haha and you'll never freak her out with it.

whats kinda nice about corns is they dont grow super fast. yes they grow pretty fast but it does take them anywhere from 3-5 years i think to become full grown. so your not always having to get new cages and such. my first corn i had in a 10 gal tank for a year and just moved him into a bigger one. he is around 2 feet now.

one tip of advice.. buy the pinkies and fuzzy's in bulk.. i made that mistake.. ive been buying them from the pet store.. so EXPENSIVE!! i made that mistake for a year before i got on here. lol. as im a college student and very tight on money.. it kinda sucks. lol

well hope everything goes well with researching. good luck and welcom to the site. everyone is great!

Welcome spartan0823 :)
Corns are so friendly that once your family gets used to it I am sure they will at least enjoy watching him/her from the safety of the outside of the Viv! Later they will probable want to feel the skin and from there who knows......? You are right in that you really need to make sure you can commit to a pet that lives that long.
Hey tstephe3 your right about buying bulk feeders but that can freak the folks out worse then the actual snake! Mom asks" wheres the ice cream", Fernando answers " Oh right behind that big bag of mice and small rats"......lol Might want to wait before filing the freezer with feeders??? Just a thought.
I hope you do decide on a corn as it will bring you lots of joy, blizzards are nice looking and bloodreds colors are astounding!!
Either way you will get great enjoyment " way better then fish"!
Good luck with the family!
Bill

Welcome to the forum! Lots of excellent information here, and it's great that you are doing your research before you get your snake. I'm sure your Mother will come around to our side!

And are you enjoying our weather compared to Brazil's? :)

Kathy

Thanks everyybody

Now I feel so welcome!

Rich- I do have a couple of questions actually, but I'm going to do as much research as I can by myself first, just so I don't ask anything too stupid.And yes I know, there are no stupid questions, just a lot of inquisitive idiots.

tstephe3- Thanks for the tips. The guy at the pet store near here said that I could start my snake out in a 10 gal tank for a year, move him to a 30 gal for 2 or 3 years depending, and then get a 50 gal breeder tank for the rest of his life. Does that sound reasonable?

freetv-5- Thank you. And good point on the frozen mice. But I think there is a freezer downstairs that no one uses that would be perfect, as long as I put the mice in some opaque container. But then again, maybe not.

Maxim- Thanks!

insomniac101- Thanks! This site is amazing so far. It's helped me a lot. As to the weather, wow... I've been living here nine years, but the past few days... wow. Last Sunday the windchill was -27 F.

oh yeah.. make sure they are frozen. haha. as for the tank yeah the 30 gallon would be good. and the 50 gallon should be good too. right now i have my oldest in a 20 L which will do for now. but i actually plan on eventually making a 6x3x4 ft enclosure for him. it will be sweet. haha. but yea what they guy told you sounds good.

yeah windchill in ohio was down in the -20s this week. i think monday i got in my car to go to class and it was 0 normal temp.. i was like oh man this is gonna be a crappy day for walking to class. haha.

Back