• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Yet another humidity/shedding thread...

NinaCaliente

Monalisa shed for the first time with us this weekend. She actually started to shed on Thursday, but only her head and neck shed and the rest of the skin was not coming off. On Saturday, we finally followed this procedure (thanks Nanci!). It worked like a charm, and once a patch on her back came loose, the rest of her skin shed in one wet piece.

I'm sure this problem is caused by humidity levels. In the winter it is veeeeery dry here. With a humidifier running, water dish over the UTH, and misting a couple times per day, the hygrometer in her cage never gets much above 40% (except for maybe the first 30 minutes after misting). She's in a screen-top tank with a piece of plexiglass covering most of the top. I made a humid hide out of a small tupperware container and damp paper towels, but to my knowledge she's never used it.

My question: I don't know that there's much else I can do to raise humidity in her cage during this time of year. If I just continue to soak her at shedding time as I did in the procedure I linked to above, will that keep her healthy? Or is there some other danger associated with low humidity that I'm unaware of?

Thanks!

When you know she's entering the blue phase you can start misting her viv.
You can also place a dish of water over the hot end, or you can make her a humid hide using a butter tub, cut out a hole and put in some damp moss or papertowels.

When you know she's entering the blue phase you can start misting her viv.
You can also place a dish of water over the hot end, or you can make her a humid hide using a butter tub, cut out a hole and put in some damp moss or papertowels.

Yeah, I'm already doing those things. Thanks though.

You can put plastic wrap, loosely, over the top of her viv, (I cover the entire top, but there's a small gap around the edges) and even mist the underside of the plastic.

Yeah, I'm already doing those things. Thanks though.

My ball python (I call her snakus but it's my sons snake and he named her slither lol) just shed a little while ago and didn't shed the skin on the top of her head and the middle part of her body, so I let her swim around in the tub with warm water and gently rubbed her with a rag til it came off. It came off rather easy. Thanks for the advice guys, that's a great idea about the butter tub... I think I'll try that this time of year. It's really very low humidity this time of year in Florida believe it or not lol...

Have a wonderful nite,

Lil. :)

Back