• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Yet another new guy!

Sir Crx

Hi.

I new to everything and anything related to snakes of any kind. I am interested in corn snakes because I hear its some of the easier snakes to take care of. Im still fully able and willing to take care of one but Im sure im not as informed as some people that come to the site.

I talked to a local guy about corn snakes and got some very basic info on caring and daily life with one. He said he is in the process of incubating some right now yet they wouldnt be ready until September sometime. Yet my urge to get one rises by the day!

One major factor he said is the majority of the sellers keep the "good" or well kept snakes and im assuming there are "runts" that they sell to pet stores? He said thats one major thing to look out for.

Once again my urge is getting the best of me. So aside from the noob introduction I have a question:

How bad is it to buy from a pet store or someone less informed of corn snakes? If I were to properly treat it when I buy it would that be like "saving it"?

I hope to get more informed since joining this! I just really want a lil snake to call my own.

Thanks in advance!

Sir Crx said:
Hi. How bad is it to buy from a pet store or someone less informed of corn snakes? If I were to properly treat it when I buy it would that be like "saving it"?

I hope to get more informed since joining this! I just really want a lil snake to call my own.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome aboard. The majority of my snakes came from pet shops, but you do need to know what to look for. It's always a gamble buying a hatchling regardless of where it's coming from. :cheers:

I agree with Mike too, you have to know what to look for. But it's not as bad as buying a used car. Kathy Love has a great section in her new book about than and everything else you need to know too. http://www.cornutopia.com/ and or all of the sticky in each forum at the top.

Good Luck :cheers:

Welcome to the site!!!!!!!! There is a lot of information here. Be sure to read the FAQ section in the forums. They answer a lot of questions. There is a search feature that answer many questions also.
There are a lot of great people here. Everybody is always willing to help.

I noticed you are from Texas. I have read in another thread that there are reptile shows in Texas. Maybe try going to one and talking to the breeders there.

Thanks guys for the quick reply! I talked to E_Crassus and Greg529 in the java chat and they gave me some great info. Aside from the info I got from the guy locally they provided some more info, as well as Kathy's site. I just got done emailing her and I hope to have a Striped soon!

Once again this is the first venture into this and I can already tell im going to be getting more than one. I gotta take it easy though!

Im sure ill be posting here more :)

any additional info is always appreciated!

Penman6668 said:
I noticed you are from Texas. I have read in another thread that there are reptile shows in Texas. Maybe try going to one and talking to the breeders there.

Thats something ill look into, thank you!

Back