• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Yet another newbie!

Teek

sleeps in a coconut
Hey folks! My name's TK, and I've been owned by a corn for about, oh, six hours now. My roommate and I went to the Ontario Reptile Expo today and ended up coming home with a pretty little girl. She's a normal het hypo with a few aztec patches, about half a year old, and I am so in love with her. Haven't named her yet, though... I'm waiting for inspiration to hit. :)

She's even freaked me out already, too. We went out for a bit shortly after getting her all settled in here, and when I came back I couldn't see her in her hide or anywhere. Little bum was just buried in her shavings, of course. :rolleyes: I've gotta get used to that, or I'm going to have a heart attack every day...

Anyhow! I plan on hanging around here to learn as much as I can, since she's my first snake. Got the basics down, but I'm sure there's tons more to know.

Well congratulations on your little roommate. The heart attacks go away in a year to two. Ha! Ha!
Just let the little girl settle in for a few days without handling it. You can change the water but thats all. I say four days. After that you can handle for five minutes or so just to get it use to you. When you try to feed the girl I would try at night in a dim room. No bright light because they are already stress out and some snakes are shy eaters. If you brought you snake home in a small deli cup us that to feed in. Place the snake in that with a f/t pinky and wait awhile. After eatting that the 48 hour rule applies. Don't handle your snake again for two days. That the very basic but here are two links just to get you off on the right foot. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sh....cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342
Good Luck and keep us posted :cheers:

Aw, thanks! I'll definitely commit all that to memory... or try to. :D

Li'l girl's already poking her nose out, and has been spying on me since this morning... it's very encouraging. Hee.

Teeny update, since I don't think it's big enough to warrant its own post:

Seja just had her first feeding with me, and it was perfect. She packed down two fuzzies like a champ! I was only gonna give her one to start off with, to play it safe, but she went bonkers looking for a second (and practically pounced on that one). It looked like she wanted a third, too... little fatty... :D

Man, I love snakes. Finally getting a corn was the best decision I've made in ages. (If there were a smiley with a bunch of stupid floating pink hearts I'd put it here...)

Congrats on the feed (oh and welcome to the forum!!!)!!! That does warrant an update!!! It is always so exciting when they feed the first time!! It is nice to get off to a good start!! Well, I hope things continue to go well and be sure to post pictures if you havent done so already!!!

Welcome! glad to hear your new buddy is eating well- seems to be the point of most trepidation for new owners, yessirree!

check the links, enjoy the discourse, and always feel free to ask questions!

[of course be prepared for goodhearted ribbing if you didn't use the search function to try and answer your question first!]

Welcome!

marty.warwick said:
We give those links to the FAQs a LOT to most new people lol, It's kinda like a rite of passage to read them :rolleyes:
I gathered that :) so this is why I give also give them to other people ;)

Back