• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Yodels: It's more fun than saying Hello

Siren

Hi, this is my first post. I've never owned a snake, but will be in the near future.
A little about myself:
I am 28 years old and a single mom. I have a wonderful 9 year old daughter. We also have a number of pets:
2 dogs - Myan a German Shepherd/Chow mix and Willow a German Shepherd/Sheltie mix. Both adopted at the local shelter.
2 cats - Satin, a Sphynx, adopted at the shelter and Lace, a Persian, given to me as a surrender from the previous owner
A Netherland's Dward Rabbit - Peace Out
A Bearded Dragon - Jinx
2 Red Eye Tree Frogs - Nightcrawler and Rogue
5 Red Ear Slider Turtles - Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello, Michaelangelo, and Bob, all rescues
5 Eastern Box Turtles, Aspen and Everest, and Aspen's 3 babies (hatched August 31st 2007), no names have stuck yet. When I got Aspen, I didn't even know she was gravid. Mom and dad are both rehabbed turtles that were hit by cars. They and the other turtles live in a full outdoor habitat where they can live naturally and safely. The hatchlings are no biologically Everest's. But he has been mating with her, so I am expecting she may or will have another clutch soon. The whole family will be released back into a local preserve in the Spring, where they will be far from road and highways.
Some pond feeder fish - I call them, Those Guys
A Pleco in the pond - I call him, That Guy

I work full time for a local mom/pop pet shop in their small animal department sometimes, but usually I work the grooming department as a groomer assistant.

I am getting a corn snake next month, for my daughter for Christmas. Since she was 4 years old and met her first corn, she has been begging me for one. And she's been doing a great job with respondsibility all that time, I think its time I got her one. One of the managers at work has a young one. How he aquired it was through a customer. A customer was breeding his corns for the first time and kept obsessively asking the manager questions all the time. When the first clutch hatched and all was well, he gave him a hatchling as a thank you gift. But the manager let him know he really didn't want it and liked "big snakes" better, but the guy insisted. So the manager has been caring for it for the past few months and hounding me to take it. So with Christmas coming, now's the best time :) She's a fantastic eater and gorgeous! Don't have a picture of her yet but when I get her, I will post the video of my daughter's reaction to seeing the tank with a big red ribbon on it and the snake inside :)

And before anyone gives me a lecture...Yes, I know pets shouldn't be given as gifts, especially to kids. She's my kid. Believe me, I know I will be the one fully respondsible for the snake's well being. Peace Out, the rabbit, that was an Easter gift to my daughter 7 years ago and we still got him and he's still healthy. He was her first and last pet as a present in a long time :) Its not something I do willy nilly. I work at the pet shop and with the local shelter on educating the public about pet care. :)

Cool, another Florida member! I think Maegan lives in Palm Coast. I'm in Alachua. There are a bunch in the Tampa area. We try to get together and do stuff- go to shows, the Serpentarium in St. Cloud, the big show in Daytona...

When you post pics of the dragon (I have one too!) and the boxies (I have a female Eastern and a male Florida, outside, as well as two California Desert Torts) they should go in the General Chit Chat section. Hint hint.

I think it's ok to give your kid a snake as a present. It's like giving yourself a present!!

Thanks guys! :)

Cool about the get togethers and there is another local on here :D I may know her if she goes to the store I work at :D And yes, I will post pics of my "other kids" soon on the General Chit Chat section

Hi :wavey: Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you have a little zoo. I can't wait to see pics of everyone!

Sounds like your daughter is gonna have a great Christmas! It is amazing how Santa always knows what to bring :rolleyes:

Back