• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Young California Striped Racer!!!

OCsnakeman

Corn-a-holic
One of my students caught ( Believe it or not ) a young california striped racer in her pool of all places?? She is not sure what to feed him, and to be honest, I am not sure either, I was thinking lizards, or larger insects. Any insight? good providers for feeder lizards?? Thanks for any info you have !

OC

Well, I know nothing about these guys, but Google knows all!

Diet
Eats lizards, small rodents, small birds, frogs, salamanders, small snakes. Juveniles will consume large insects.

If he's big enough, I'd try small pinkies first. You might luck out. I don't think racers make great pets though, or at least not easily handled pets.

Good luck with him! :)

They really are nasty little snakes that become big nasty snakes. I've never been able to catch an adult as they are very aggressive and will strike, tail rattle and generally act menacing. Even the babies bite! I have caught juvenile red racers and it latched onto my hand first thing. I don't really think it will make that great a pet and it's a toss up whether or not you'll get it eating. Racers tend to get quite long too so you'll need a decent sized enclosure for an adult. It would probably be best to turn the little future rodent remover loose.

Well, I've kept Striped Racers before. They are alot more active than Corns, and a bit more likely to bite, but not as much as other Racers such as Red Racers (otherwise known as Coachwhips), Black Racers, and Yellow Belly Racers. Currently, I own a Sub-Adult Yellow Belly Racer and I can tell you that while the bites are frequent, they aren't too bad at all.
If your Striped Racer is big enough to take pinks, I'd feed them that. If not, big Crickets will work. But I can almost gaurenty that you will need to feed it live rodents. Racers are very sight oriented hunters.
Also, I have talked to quite a few people that have gotten their Racers (of various species) to regularly take rodents and acclimate very well when they gave them UV lighting, much like you would for a diurnal Lizard. This is especially notable for species like Coachwhips which are well known for refusing to eat anything but lizards in captivity, and not acclimating well to captive life.
The Striped Racers don't get large at all. They can reach 5 feet, but generally stay around 3-4.
If you have any other questions about them, feel free to PM me :)

Back