• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

"You've come a long way"

moonchild

My husband was so proud of me that he wanted me to post this...
Just a few weeks ago I was deathly afraid of ALL snakes. NOW, I have 5 corns of my own (my husband has 1 corn and 1 taiwan beauty ratsnake, both of whom I also love to death) and am anxiously awaiting the time I can add more corns to my collection.
But anyway, TODAY, I helped remove retained shed from a 3.5+ foot Taiwan Beauty Ratsnake, that a month ago I wasn't even comfortable being close to, let alone handling.

Wow! That is great news! Congratulations. Its amazing what a little cornsnake can do for you. Its good to hear your story. Lets hope you can tell other people who are afraid of snakes about your experience.

Yeah! I am so glad I can "see the light" now. I love my babies soooo much!! This is the little girl who changed it all, and of course the biggest part of it was my wonderful husband! :)

TsukiBaby.jpg

TsukiBaby1.jpg

I just had to share! Today, we went and picked up my new baby, an 02 snow corn!! He is so beautiful! He is an early Christmas present from my wonderful husband!! I will be taking pictures here in a bit then I will post them. I am so excited!

Now that's a good story!

:-offtopic My blue beauty also sheds quite difficult, what do you guys do to have it shed in piece?

Well, this is the first time in 3 years that our Taiwan Beauty has had a problem. We were wondering if it was something to do with his recent escape (he was gone for about a month) and shed shortly after we caught him. When he was loose he probably didn't have enough humidity. We are assuming that was why. Our snakes all have very large water bowls. Maybe that helps? Ones they can easily get back out of of course... but they always have a lot of water.
But, problem sheds are usually a sign of low humidity. Raising humidity before shed or providing a humid hide usually aids with shedding. If after trying this, your snake still has problems shedding you might want to look for mites, as certain external parasites can cause shedding difficulties.

Well, she has a bowl of water available, and last time I added a plastic tub with lid and hole filled with wet aspen, but she didn't use it. Only after het shedding when I took it out I felt it was heated too much by the lamp above, I didn't ealize that. I'll add the tub next time again, the lamp has been put higeher in the viv already.

I did spray on her directly once every day the week she went blue until she actually shed. Shouldn't that heve been enough though?

It might be the lamp... also you might soak her instead of just giving her a chance to soak. If possible I'd try using a heating pad under the viv instead of the lamp. Have you tried putting the snake in the box with the damp aspen? You could also try damp paper towels instead of damp aspen...

Well, the viv is made of glass and is not lift from the ground by anything so I cannot provide a heat mat. I plan to give her a bigger viv made of multiplex in May 2007 when she's getting really big, then I can provide one I think but that's so far away... maybe I just have to put her in a box wiht damp bedding for a couple of days when shedding is dued.... but for het health I think a good hum. level all the time is better. I'm thinking of doing something with wet textile hung in the viv..... that will keep up hum. at the highest level, where she hangs out most of the time.

Back