• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Yummy Mouse

EtherRex

Otter-Like
After a very succesfull shed today (apart from the very tip of her tail, which I always have to take off with some tissue) my snake Toes was looking very hungry so we took some photos of her eating. Thought id share.

3. Edit: BTW, no we didnt pick her out! She lifted herself up onto the edge of the container to finish swallowing and looked in danger of falling off! Got carried away, bless her. These pics are all in chronological order.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 173
And this last one is how she looked pre-shed, pre-feeding.

Attachments

• pre-shed2.jpg
    pre-shed2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 169
Thanks Simon,
she is a pretty thing isnt she. The saddles on her lower back do break up a bit but her colours are very bright indeed.
Very calm and relaxed too. There were three people watching her eat and after checking out the mouse for 5 minutes she ate with no worries at all. Camera flash doesnt seem to bother her in the least.

That's a very pretty little snake:D
I like the picture where she has the mouse down to the tail and she is just finishing up. Does she constrict?

No, I have never seen her constrict. I have always fed her on F/T mice and I know that the guy I bought her from also feed F/T mice. I would like to see her constrict her prey but she is unwilling to take from forceps so I dont think its gonna happen. We got her to strike at a pinkie once when I was holding her and my GF waved the pinkie at her. The only problem was my GF screamed and dropped the pinkie in shock :D so she might have been put off 'dancing' food by that! ;) Its pretty much impossible for me to get live fuzzies as I dont know anyone who breeds mice so I dont think its gonna happen. That said there is really no reason to give her live food as she is perfectly happy eating the way she does.

BTW. She left her first (small) package in the cage today! Thats just 24 hours after she ate. Pretty quick. It cant have been from the last feed either as that was 14 days ago (due to her shed) so I guess the slight raise in temperature ive instigated has made a difference. Amazing that 3 degrees c can speed up her metabolic rate that much...

I usually get constriction by playing a gentle game of tug- o-war once they grab the mouse. Most of my snakes will not constrict if the prey doen't "fight back".

When I feed my adult creamsicle i drag it in front of her and she goes into hunt mode within seconds. I'm going to try feeding her on the carpet next time and give her some good excercise, maybe tying the tail of the mouse to a string connected to a long stick. I'll take some pictures of it. :p J/w when they do constrict, do they normally hold it for close to 5-10 minutes before even starting an attempt to eat? Was kinda worried for when she did that last time.

Adam

Back