• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Zanjibil and I, far from home

Taybeh Chaser

Hello to all.I am a first-time corn snake owner. I am from the US, but I live and work in the Palestinian Territories, in the city of Ramallah. "Zanjibil" is my new friend. He is a year old and very pretty, but too shy for pics at the moment. Only had him five days, and he's been curled up in his hide almost the whole time. Though, of course, Zanj's ancestors are American too, he was born in Jerusalem. His name means "Ginger" in Arabic. I guess he is a normal corn snake and not a special morph, with the red, black, and pinky-orange pattern on his back, the pretty black eyes, and the cute checkered belly. Not many people around this part of the world keep pet snakes, so I am a bit lonely and get called weird quite a lot ;)

I think you might be our first member from there!! It's kind of strange to think of cornsnakes being bred in Jerusalem!

Nanci--The only other snake keeper I know here is the guy I got Zanjibil from. I guess there must be a market for snakes if they are being bred, but they are less popular than they are in the states. All my coworkers seem to think this is some bizarre foreigner thing.

snakehobbyist--Thanks for the welcome. Today is going to be my first attempt to feed him, based on his previous schedule. Already defrosting the mouse-icle. I'm really nervous. I know he's probably not ready to be handled yet, and I'm afraid of scaring him when I go to give him his mouse. Hopefully, next week he will be more comfortable and I can get some good pics.

Welcome Taybeh! Best of luck feeding. If he's a year old, I doubt it should be a problem, but I do understand the nervousness.

Welcome to the forum. No need to feel lonely any more now that you are surrounded by a whole forum of "weird" people who love snakes as much as you do. ;)

Zanjibil didn't seem to want his mouse on Friday. Completely ignored it. However, I wound up handling him for the first time, even though it was a few days early for that. In my nervousness, I made the probably-dumb decision to move his hide. I guess I was thinking he'd notice the mouse more easily that way. Anyway, he stretched out so I couldn't put back the hide without potentially crushing him, so I picked him up gently. He seemed pretty good with that, moving around my arms and hands and flicking his tongue and being snakelike. He didn't appear nervous or anything (didn't start rattling his tail, or try to strike). When I returned the hide and him, he still ignored the mouse, but went and got a drink. The next day, the mouse was still there. I called the guy I got him from, and he said maybe Zanj is still getting used to his new home. I will try again tonight (won't lift the hide again, I'll just leave him room service outside the entrance), and will certainly check the forums for feeding advice if I need to.

Glad your Zanjibil ate for you. That is always a relief. I live in Florida and have several types of ginger growing in my yard. I love his name.

Back