• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Zilla Alfalfa reptile bedding....Safe??

I have been wanting to put a different substrate in all of my snakes cages and I found two I wanna try. Sani chips and Zilla Alfalfa reptile bedding and litter. I got a great deal on the zilla alfalfa bedding but didn't even think to ask if alfalfa was ok for corn snakes. I love the fact that it absorbs waste and expands so you know what needs to be scooped out. Also my mom loves the smell of alfalfa and is always complaining about reptile smell, she has a very strong sense of smell.

I've read its safe if ingested so I assumed it was ok to use. Wasn't planning on putting it in cages until tomorrow so hopefully I'll get some responses by then.

Brittany

hmmm... I have never used it for my snakes but I do use it for my bearded dragon. There is nothing toxic in it but not sure if it would hold humidity well without molding.

Well it say on the bag spray cage for humidity, bedding will absorb extra water and release it into the cage. Nobody else replied so I went ahead and put it in some of my snakes cages. We'll see how it works. I kinda like the look of the sani chip better tho?? I'll have to see which one I like to clean. Then make a decision.

Let me know how it goes. I've never heard of it before, I like the smell of hay too, might be nice to trim some of the smell a little, though I don't personally find reptile smell bad. My only concern is allergies to it, for the people! I'm curious as to how this will work out.

Our beardie loves to dig in it. I have found that it can mold if it gets wet, faster than aspen. Especially if it absorbs at the bottom and you don't catch it or if it absorbs water under a decoration and it don't find it. I spot clean juju poo every day, I will say that it does absorb it usually into like clumping litter.

If you like alfalfa pellets as bedding, hit up a feed store. They're $15 for 50lbs at my store, way cheaper than the bags of zilla stuff....and you can use them to fertilize plants too.

Back