• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

zoo med repti r500

itzchaboiwesley

is anyone currently using that for there thermostat? I have just received mine today and when i plug my light into it and once it set the temp the green light on it turns off letting you know it has been set. but then the heating lamp also turns off. is that how it works or is it a defective? using a lamp for day and a uth for night right now.

I have two and yes they will constantly turn on and off they don't just hold a constant tempature. The tempature will always flucuate a few degrees. I wouldn't really recommend using the lamp and the uth because they distrubute heat differently. So if you've calibrated it for the right tempature with the lamp, when you unplug it at night and plug in the UTH the temps won't stay the same.

ya i know but the reason why i use the heating lamp is for light cuz my room dont have alot of sunlight and its normally dark so i put a light. i see what your sayin i was readin the manaully guide and they said that we can also use one of those timers for night and day with the set temp. i think i might go get oneof those. every heard of it?

Yes but I've never used one before so I can't say that I have any opinions on them.
You could still put a light on in your room if you're going to do it anyway, and just not use one for heat maybe? :shrugs:

The snake doesn't need a light, you know. If you have to have extra heat, maybe a ceramic heater would be less distracting. The 500R is an on/off type thermostat. It's operating like it is supposed to.

You could still put a light on in your room if you're going to do it anyway, and just not use one for heat maybe? :shrugs:

lol maybe huh i figure he prolly can see the heating lamp light more but ehh lol i guess i can do that ill just keep the uth on all the time

Well like Nanci said the light isn't really necessary.
Just because the sun isn't blaring in your room it's not like your snake doesn't recongize day and night cycles.
Unless you live in the basement, lol.

i was going to get the reptitemp 500r or whatever its called, but instead i opted for a herpstat, even before i knew i was going to get 2 snakes.

and i must say, so far the herpstat has been WAAAAAAAAAAAY worth the 135 bucks, i NEVER have to worry, and my temps are NEVER out by more than .3 of a degree. my mind is at ease, always.

definitely a great buy

lennycorn i see lol its all good though! it works of and yea temps do go up and down but only by like 3 degrees. it was at 80.3 and then went up by 82.1 and thats about it but overall its ok. wasent looking to spending a whole lot

The 500R works fine. Depending on the heat source used it should hold the temps to within 2-3 degrees which is just fine for a corn snake.

I used several of them for a year, some even running 2 tanks with identical UTHs. I still use them off and on when needed, one on a 10 gal dubia feeder colony and one on a solo tub for my male BP until he moves into the rack.

Back