• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Likely obstruction--paper towel

desertanimal

2003 UB313
I had hoped I would not be posting in this forum, but as a result of my own idiocy, I am. A while back I started feeding on paper towels because it seemed neater to soak up the water from the wet mice and such, and it prevents ingestion of substrate when I feed in cage, which I do when I'm in more of a hurry. Usually I watch, but Tuesday was the first day I was allowed to walk on my brand new ACL (installed Friday, new to me, thank you to whomever it came from), and the snakes were all a day late for feeding, so I fed in cages on paper towels and went back to bed. Wedensday morning, I found that my little hypo bloodred hatchling had eaten her one pinky, and her paper towel. :bang: I should've made the connection back when that python ate his blanket, but I didn't. :bang: :bang: :bang:

So. I've waited two days to see whether the paper towel (she ate probably a 2 inch by 3 inch piece) would dissolve on its own at all. I don't think it has. I think the pinkie has been digested and the paper towel hasn't. It's pretty firm upon palpation.

These pictures are from this evening. She's still fiesty and she shed last night. I've read a couple threads about administering oil, but I don't think this thing is small enough for her to pass, at least not yet. Can I get her to regurge it? I'm not imagining a tiny hatchling could survive a sugery to remove it. And I'm not sure that would be in our budget anyway, since we're now working on our $1500 maximum out of pocket for MY surgery on Friday. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• paper towel1.jpg
    paper towel1.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 300
  • paper towel2.jpg
    paper towel2.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 299
  • paper towel3.jpg
    paper towel3.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 297
  • paper towel 5.jpg
    paper towel 5.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 296
Not to sound alarmist, but I read about a boa that died after eating a paper towel in one of the boa forums. That snake ate a whole paper towel. The vet that the owner consulted suggested mineral oil, but that doesn't sound like a good idea either. Call your reptile vet to be safe.

-Andrew Scott

Oh damn. I can offer nothing but sympathy and well-wishes, just hoping this ends well for you and your snake

Ouch! I've stopped feeding on anything anymore if I can help it, plain plastic bottomed containers. I just put 2-3 sheets of paper towel on the counter and roll the mice before I drop them in the snake feeding container. Works pretty well.

As far as surgery, the snake is a bit small and I think it'd be risky from many things. What about laparoscopically snagging it and pulling it back out? I'm not sure how small laparoscopic probes are, but it may be worth a shot if your vet will do it.

Based on Zach's boa that ate an entire sheet of paper towel and not making it, I would get something done as soon as possible if you can. Such a beautiful snake to lose. =(

Unfortunately I believe it is all too easy for snakes to ingest even their paper towel... I always observe my snakes eating, but even that can be risky. I've seen my snakes grab the towel as well as they constrict the mouse and get extremely tangled. And as such, when the mouse goes down, it drags down the towel with it. I will no longer feed on anything whatsoever, just plain tubs, as Taceas says.

Best wishes to the little girl, I hope she will pull through. Good luck.

I hope everything works out well for both you & your little Hypo Bloodred. Thanks for posting this info as a head up to others on the forum here.

Let us know how things things out with him.

Taceas said:
Ouch! I've stopped feeding on anything anymore if I can help it, plain plastic bottomed containers.

That's definitely the plan from here on out. I'm posting to see if anyone knows of any good vets in the area. I've only been to one place that does herps here and they didn't seem to know too much. :(

Thanks for the well-wishes. She is a pretty little thing and I'm going to feel terrible to have killed her if she dies.

I have no advice either. Just wanted to let you know my thoughts are with you.

Good luck to you and the little girl!

Jo

I am so sorry!!! Try the oil first, it may work.
Poor little one. I used to feed on paper towels as well until I saw one of my hatchlings eating one. Thank goodness I was there to pull it out of his mouth.

If you're up to heading back out our way, Dr Todd Driggers is nearby.

Foothills Mobile Exotic DVM

Elliott & McQueen

Oh, poor baby! That looks uncomfortable at the least. :( This is why I feed in a cardboard box...but even so, this was an unfortunate accident. I hope she pulls through, and definitely call a vet!

I saw an episode on the Animal Planet where a python had eaten a gazelle, horns, hooves, and all. Most of the time these small items are dissolved along with the meal. I'm not advocating that we intentionally let the snakes ingest foreign objects...I'm just saying, most of the time these items will dissolve and pass.

Good luck with you baby.

bill38112 said:
I saw an episode on the Animal Planet where a python had eaten a gazelle, horns, hooves, and all. Most of the time these small items are dissolved along with the meal. I'm not advocating that we intentionally let the snakes ingest foreign objects...I'm just saying, most of the time these items will dissolve and pass.

Good luck with you baby.

Paper towels are not something a snake can digest. It may seem like it would be easier to digest then an antler, but the snakes digestive system just isn't designed to handle something like that.

Stephanie,
If it were my snake, and I couldn't get her to a vet that seems like he/she knows what they're doing, I'd try to make her regurge.
Good luck :awcrap:

bill38112 said:

Good luck with you baby.

Yes, but aren't horns and so forth generally made of bone or hair? Both of which are found on mice, and pass through the system harmlessly.

Plissken said:
Yes, but aren't horns and so forth generally made of bone or hair? Both of which are found on mice, and pass through the system harmlessly.
I think you'll find it's the paper towel that's causing the concern

diamondlil said:
I think you'll find it's the paper towel that's causing the concern

Um, that was kind of my point.... that paper towel is much more dangerous and therfore something to be concerned about :shrugs:

Plissken said:
Yes, it's the fact that the paper towel is made of wood pulp. Snakes can't digest plant matter. :(

I read your post wrong! sorry, I did think it was quite an odd thing to say :crazy02: and now I know you weren't saying it!

diamondlil said:
I read your post wrong! sorry, I did think it was quite an odd thing to say :crazy02: and now I know you weren't saying it!

LOL... no probs :wavey:

Back