• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How many corns in how big of a tank?

mehnkle

I was wondering how many cornsnakes do you think should be able to stay in a 20 gallon tank? How many corns and what size is your tank?:confused:

One for most of its life.
2 or 3 babies temporarily until they start to grow.

My tank is a 40 gallon breeder with one adult corn. 4.5 feet long?

You will probably get some differing opinions but I keep one snake per tank or container. A 20 gal will house 1 adult corn just fine. If you have the room and or money a 30 gal is better. If you MUST keep 2 together I would use a 55 gal. If 2 are kept together please remember to feed seperatly outside the tank:)
Good Luck.

Alicia

I have 2 corns... I keep each in their own seprete 10 gal. they are only 15 in. long so I'm thinking that the 10 gal. has plenty of room for them to move and dig around in... I'm goin to switch them to 20 gal. as soon as they are 3 ft. long... hope I helped...

Please, only one to a tank. It is better that way... they could have problems that you may or may not be able to detect.

A general guideline for tank size is that the snake should be no longer than the sum of 'length plus width' of the tank.

I have 12 corns right now and I keep them all in separate tanks. So hahah a total of 12 tanks in my house. But very soon I am going to start building a rack system for my corns as I have just ordered 4 lavenders from Rich on Friday. Jim is going to bring it up to Canada for me. So very soon enough I'll be needing at least 4 more tanks (more if my pair of corn starts breeding....but that'll be a long time from now.....)
So a rack system with tubs and one snake in each tub........

anyway, just go with one tank with one snake.

Good Luck and Happy Herping!

Simon (or anyone who can help)

I am also getting ready to start building a rack system. Would you mind comparing notes (tub size, heating method, building materials, etc.)? Feel free to email/pm. I can use all the help I can get :)

Last edited:
thanks

thank you thank you thank you jim! I have seen some other instructions online but these are very detailed. It also makes me feel better that the size tubs I bought should be big enough to keep my snakes comfy.

great site huh???

one suggestion about those racks... definitely take his advice on adding more of the t-shaped reinforcements if you plan on being able to move the rack. they can be quite wobbly if you don't. good luck and let us know how it goes. ---jim
oops, ok 2 suggestions--- pre-drill all your holes to keep the wood from splitting :)

Here is mine

Hope this helps Mehnkle!
I keep one snake in here. Its a 20 gallon long.
I like this one cause its meant specifically for snakes.
Its called a "critter cage" and it has a sliding door (prevents untimely escapes), locks and also a hole for u to slide in a heating mat.

Not sure how much one of these will run u up in Washington
but in Canada u can pick one up for about $75

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 177
Hello, question for Ares. Do you have problems with condensation in your glass tank, because we had a glass tank and once the light went out and the heat mat came on the glass was covered in moisture. Also do you have problems holding the heat because our glass tank even in the daytime, didn't get any hotter than 76 deg.

Hey Kaz
I'm not Ares (obviously!) but for me water has never condensed on the glass walls of the tank. It helps to keep the water bowl away from the hot side.
I think it's the surface temperature that is supposed to be 80 whatever degrees F. If the air temp in the tank is 76, that shouldn't cause any problems...
of course you could get a bigger/hotter heat pad if you want and a lamp too.
i use just a heat pad and it seems to do the job. If I lay the thermometer on top of the substrate (paper towels) it's usually around 84-84ºF and the air temp is mid 70's in the rest of the tank usually.
I've never had any regurge problems with mine. yet. :)

What vile necromancer hath resurrected this four and a half year old thread?! :grin01:

As if there haven't been enough cohabitation threads in any given month.

(Welcome Ziggy4u)

Back