• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Why cut pinks?

defiant14

Although this question may be answered else where, I couldn't find it (even with a search) so I appologize if I over looked it and for my ignorance.

Why and how do people cut their f/t pinkies before feeding? What dictates necessity? Is it size/age of the snake or some other factors?

Thanks,
Defiant (Jeff)

defiant14 said:
Although this question may be answered else where, I couldn't find it (even with a search) so I appologize if I over looked it and for my ignorance.

Why and how do people cut their f/t pinkies before feeding? What dictates necessity? Is it size/age of the snake or some other factors?

Thanks,
Defiant (Jeff)

showthread.php

It's discussed on the above thread.

I copied this from a thread I made a year or so ago on the feeding trial...

Red = control group - no cuts
Blue = 2 cuts, skin only
Yellow = 4 cuts, skin only
Green = 2 cuts with cavity perforation (chest)
Purple = average of the 3 cut groups combined

+/- = 1 standard deviation...
(here's an example of the 4 cuts group)
CutFuzzy.jpg

chartweight.jpg

chart.jpg

averages.jpg

The trial showed during the first 15 feedings of these hatchlings' lives that if you made perforations (of any kind, really, but 4 cuts was better than 2 cuts with cavity perforation which was better than 2 cuts alone...slightly) in the skin of the pinky/fuzzy, that they tripled their weights whereas the controls (no cut food items) only doubled their weights, on average.

Very interesting study Hurley. If your snakes can digest faster when you cut the pinks, does that mean you should feel them more often as well? Or would you still feed them once every 4-5 days?

These hatchlings easily could have eaten more often than I was feeding them (at least the cut pink ones could have), but they ate every 5 (to 7) days during the study. I wanted to see the effect during a normal feeding schedule.

These hatchlings at the end of 15 feedings were nice and healthy. I speculate that if I upped them to every 3 feedings, they may very well get pudgy...especially as they get on to "fireballs" (fuzzies).

Could you feed more often, yes, fairly easily. Do you want to? That's up to each individual to decide. Once on fuzzies, I wouldn't recommend it, personally.

Thanks for the additional information, Connie. It was great information. Need to make sure that my daughter knows to cut it at least four times. I think I was getting four cuts since that's what you showed on your pinky hippo drawing :)

The number of cuts really isn't that important, what counts is the amount of surface area exposed. So, size of cuts plays a role. The biggest factor is giving the digestive juices access, after that, the changes are minor.

Thanks for posting this- I first heard of cutting the mice for digestion/weight gain purposes yesterday and was curious.

Nanci

Yes thank you very much! That completely answered my questions! I tried to search, but I guess I just didn't know the right search terms. :sidestep:

Thanks again, that was super informative!

I cant help but wonder if anyone has done this with bigger snakes, like rtb's for instince. Mabe feeding a adult rat with cuts will make my red tail grow faster?

I have been using the 4 cut system ever since i first came across Connie's trial & have been amazed at the growth rate of my snakes....

I've been told that it isn't healthy for them to grow to fast, and that you can often relate health problems in adults to it, I know for a fact that puppyfood for larger breeds is made in a way so they will grow slower, and so they grow more (get larger).
It can effect the bonestructure if they grow to fast, and in the wild, noone would ever cut their meals for them ;)

I don't think cutting frozen thawed mice can be equated with powerfeeding. And in the wild they don't get fed frozen/thawed pre-killed mice. They eat live mice, and in the process almost always bite them, in effect cutting the skin with their fangs.

Sedda said:
I've been told that it isn't healthy for them to grow to fast, and that you can often relate health problems in adults to it, I know for a fact that puppyfood for larger breeds is made in a way so they will grow slower, and so they grow more (get larger).
It can effect the bonestructure if they grow to fast, and in the wild, noone would ever cut their meals for them ;)

In the wild, they would potentially eat five or six pinkies if they came upon a nest, but I don't know anyone here that feeds that many at one time either.

grdn1014 said:
wow....i feel like i have been misguided so far my entire snake keeping experience.

/cuts /cuts /cuts :)

LOL Cuts are really good :)

Actually, research about fast growth in dogs I don't believe can be used to compare with snakes. I believe the main issue, is the same thing happens in horses, but the problem is that the tendons in the legs don't grow as fast as the bone and you end up with some major tendon problems. I'm not seeing where this would translate into the snake anatomy. Also too much protein causes problems and those diets tend to be high in protein. I'm guessing snakes utilize proten differently than dogs or esp horses :)

I use scissors on the back of the mouse, just snip enough to cut through the skin. Several V shapes down the back pointing towards the tail so it doesn't get caught while being swallowed.

I think I'm gonna be a "cutter" too. I fed Zeke his first meal with me yesterday. I waited until the pinky was thawed to cut the slits in it's back. I didn't make the slits any particular direction (got to remember to do that), but when I put the pinky in there, Zeke grabbed it from the tweezers. I didn't even have time to put the thing down. Kinda off topic, but I'm very happy he didn't have a problem eating. I tried it, it works, I'm not going to knock it. :)

Back