• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Adding a new corn to the tank help!

stufmonkey

Hello, signed up today finally. I have browsed this site for the last year since i first got my late 06 corn. I want to add another corn the same size. How would I go about doing this. I know they can live together and feed separetly. What is the best way to introduce the new corn?

Do a search for "co-habitation", and you will be provided with an overwhelming number of opinions, tips, and advice on the subject...EVERY aspect of the subject...the good, the bad, and the disagreements.

Sifting through all of the opinions on this matter will provide you with plenty of things to think about, and avenues to research in preparation. There are alot of different opinions on this subject, and I honestly believe that the only way to properly prepare oneself for co-habitating corns is to read through those opinions, the ones they like as well as the ones they don't, and truly understand what it is you are going to be involved with in co-habbing snakes. It is not something that is easy to do, and requires a certain amount of experience and knowledge to do properly. Yes, it can be done successfully. But it requires experience and often times diligence to do properly and to limit the risks to your snakes.

There was a very recent thread about a hatching corn cannibalising it's brother. I know opinion is divided on the subject, but I'd strongly recommend you get a separate vivarium. If money is a concern so you can't do that, I'd say don't buy the snake. If you can't afford to give it the treatment it needs, then don't get it and make the poor thing suffer.

Sorry to sound so strongly opinionated, but I'm one for erring on the side of caution.

I'm not sure how divided this topic is, I looked at a couple old polls and most say no. I think the topic is very hot however, as the people who want to or do it are adament they are right which usually causes a big debate. I think a few, very few do it successfully and as Chris said they are very informed about the risks.
Beyond cannabalism, unwanted mating, there is the fact that your new snake should be quarantined to make sure it is disease and mite free.
You have to make you own decision. My .02 is it is a very bad idea, susan

I agree with what everyone has said already.
My 2 rootbeer girls are the only snakes I have I feel comfortable co-habbing. They are mother and daughter, 11 and 9 years old. I know them very well. That said, I prefer keeping them apart, and they are apart right now.

The only other time I ever co-habed resulted in an accidental pregnancy, egg-binding, and death. One of my enclosures short circuited and nearly caught fire, melted the tub the snake was in....I had no other choice at the time. I also thought both snakes were male.

Last edited:
I would realy look at why you want to keep them together, another tub for a youngster isnt much more work or expense.

Strangely enough my only personal experience of co-habiting also resulted in an unexpected pregnancy... i dread to think what could have happened.

Like everybody has said there is loads of info out there on keeping corns together i just know i wouldnt do it again, they mean too much to me.

Kat

jub_jub_bird said:
Strangely enough my only personal experience of co-habiting also resulted in an unexpected pregnancy... i dread to think what could have happened.
I used to cohab in the early '90s, and this happened to me as well; it almost killed the small female that was impregnated. I also saw definite signs of stress in many of the cohabbed snakes. I wouldn't think of doing it now.

Back