• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

This Is Why............

Jay@PJCReptiles

"Quality Before Quantity"
.......WE DON'T COHABITATE CORNSNAKES! I had to use this post to show new owners and members of CS.com as to why one shouldn't cohab. Thanks for sharing your experience with us reptiledoc and I am sorry you had to experience this first hand. "One Snake, One Viv/Bin" Hopefully this will help them realize what can and does happen. I know I would be pretty upset to know one of my Anerys were to have made a snake of one of my Amel Bloodred Stripes because I put more then one animal in a viv or bin.
Jay

reptiledoc said:
Crazy Corn Cannibal !!!!!
I guess Pinkies weren't enough for this guy, so he devoured his Brother!!!!! This is my first ever experience with Cannibalism in Cornsnakes. I'm sure it isn't the first time it has happened anywhere but certainly a premier experience for me. :puke01:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thank you so much for this post. Some people hatchlings are OK together and some how only after 18 mo. they need to be separated. :shrugs: Or that they are going to do and prove the pros wrong... It seems so many times when this is pointed out to people they disappear from the forum.
As a side note I would like to find out what happened to repiledoc's snake did it regurge, die... thus far we have only seen 1/2 the picture.

Some one should make a sticky of this post so whenever someone asks if its ok to cohabitate we can show it to them....
Thanks!

I think we still need the whole story before throwing this around as a high risk factor. So far, every case of cannabalism that I've heard about with corns was directly related to unsafe feeding practices with hatchlings. Not saying I'm pro-cohab, but I also think the whole truth should be out there before judgements are made about any risk factor or incident.

Hey Doc, any update on the little cannibal? I've always been under the impression that both parties die when cannibalism occurs. Was that the case with these two?

That picture makes me sad in a way, and at the same time makes me feel really uncomftorable- It's just hard for me to imagine, if my baby herman was eaten by something. I would be so upset!

Thanks PJCReptiles!!!

There are soooo many reasons NOT to cohab! Premature pregnancies, cannibalism, not to mention just plain STRESS and the feeding issues etc etc that go with it!

"I can't afford two cages" is not an excuse as far as I am concerned, if you can't afford to take care of two properly, don't get two! You are not only affecting the new corn but the one you already have too. Each deserves to be cared for to the best of your abilities. :)

We all have choices...

I just want to say that it really is a personal choice. There is always a choice and of course a risk. I personally like to use my extra large custom cages and let my girls enjoy it for a few years. Some people don't wear helmets on a motorcyle and take that extra risk if something were to happen. As long as people know the consequences of their actions. If I had a really high end clutch, I would for sure separate them as they came out of the egg, but otherwise, I really don't think it happens enough for me to worry about it. What maybe 1 in 1,000? Does anyone really know the odds? Hatchling racks are very nice, and I have several, but I have found that keeping them in their clutch groups for the first few feeds until sexed saves me so many hours of work. Unless they are not eating I leave them with their clutch until sexed and eating well. When I first made my racks and used them it took me around an hour to clean each one x 3 every 5 days, plus all my other snakes, and that was with just 150 hatchlings. I don't think we should make a super big deal of this. I think everyone should be educated on the consequences, but not look down upon if they want to house two snakes together, especially if they know they are healthy. Again I stress that it is very important to house "new" snakes seperatley, especailly if they come from two different sources. I hope I didn't upset anyone, that's not my intention. Trust me I don't like to argue or put anyone down. I just think it's a personal choice.

kocorns said:
I just want to say that it really is a personal choice. There is always a choice and of course a risk. I personally like to use my extra large custom cages and let my girls enjoy it for a few years. Some people don't wear helmets on a motorcyle and take that extra risk if something were to happen. As long as people know the consequences of their actions. If I had a really high end clutch, I would for sure separate them as they came out of the egg, but otherwise, I really don't think it happens enough for me to worry about it. What maybe 1 in 1,000? Does anyone really know the odds? Hatchling racks are very nice, and I have several, but I have found that keeping them in their clutch groups for the first few feeds until sexed saves me so many hours of work. Unless they are not eating I leave them with their clutch until sexed and eating well. When I first made my racks and used them it took me around an hour to clean each one x 3 every 5 days, plus all my other snakes, and that was with just 150 hatchlings. I don't think we should make a super big deal of this. I think everyone should be educated on the consequences, but not look down upon if they want to house two snakes together, especially if they know they are healthy. Again I stress that it is very important to house "new" snakes seperatley, especailly if they come from two different sources. I hope I didn't upset anyone, that's not my intention. Trust me I don't like to argue or put anyone down. I just think it's a personal choice.

I wouldnt compared it to not wearing a helmet. You ride a motorcycle without a helmet you only endanger yourself. You enclose two corn snakes together in one viv, your not the one who gets swallowed alive.

If snakes want to hang out together in the wild fine, but when you domesticate them and keep them in an enclosure, you take away their ability to leave or flee, basically making them an involuntary meal.

Back