• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Can I house my adult Yellow Rat Snake (150 cm) and Corn (60 cm) in the same viv?

reptire

The petshop owner said I can, but I'm not so sure. Better safe than sorry.
The corn is very small and thin compared to the rat snake, but both of them are very docile, they never bite.

You should never co-hab two snakes together, so no you should not. Reasons being,
1) Cannibalism
2) If there is a regurge, which one regurged?
3) Sicknesses/diseases spread rapidly
4) Both snakes will be stressed (may even go off food)
5) Neither snake is benefiting, in fact they would rather be alone
6) If poop is weird, who's poop is it?

I'm sure others will chime in as well. Best they have their own enclosure.

In order to avoid risks such as
a) snakes eating each other
b) not knowing which one vomited if one were to vomit
c) transference of illnesses and/or infections
d) anxiety
e) competitive behaviors that inhibit the ability of each individual snake to thrive
f) not knowing which one had the strange looking feces if one happens to have strange feces

I think its best to have the snakes housed in separate houses, I think others will voice echoing sentiments as well.

I think it's a terrible idea period, but for two species of vastly different sizes, it sounds like a problem waiting to happen. I'd find another pet shop for advice.

Back