• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How to dry out substrate in winter? Details in the thread.

reptire

Hey guys, so I've just ordered a new vivarium for my corn two weeks ago and it's about time it gets here. So, I prepared the substrate.

I use coconut husks that come in a solid brick I have to dissolve in hot water so it massively expands in its size. The problem is, it still remains full of water (if not dried out correctly) for about two weeks, and I don't want to cause health problems to my cornsnake (and tortoise, but that's unrelated here).

Any tips on how could I dry it out quickly and efficiently in winter time, when I can't just take it outside to the sun for a few hours?
Keeping it under heating lamps is not an available option because I live in a small apartment and the only heating lamp I have space for goes to my tortoise for basking light.

Thank you in advance!

Also (sorry for the double post), I already let out as much water from it as I could, but it's still very wet and would stay that way for two weeks more if I don't do something.

I use the same stuff for the frogs, and you don't need to use enough water to fully soak it-wet the top layer (I use a mist-type spray bottle), let it expand and loosen, brush that layer off, spread it out to dry, and repeat. That takes longer, but you don't end up with an entire 5 gallon Home Depot bucket full of super-saturated coconut fiber that weighs a ton. This also lets you not necessarily use a whole brick at one time, because unless you have really, really big habitats, you're not going to use it all at once anyway-and once it's expanded, it's a pain to freeze to make sure nothing has moved into it.

Thank you Alli_Draggy, I will use your method next time! However, I already prepared it this way (the way the official instructions told me to), so I have to deal with this problem for now.
Any tips for my current situation? :)

Take small handfuls of it and squeeze and squeeze out the excess water (into a second bucket),
squeeze it out a few times.
Spread it out on a baking sheet
and bake it in the oven, whatever the lowest temperature setting is for 10-15 minutes, stir it around, and if it IS still steaming let it go another 10 minutes until dry.
Baking it low will warm it up sufficiently well to dry it out. Be sure to let it cool to room temperature before putting in a viv so it doesn't melt plastic, or make sure it is room temp before putting into a glass enclosure! Sudden temp shock to aquarium glass often causes cracks, or worse messes.
Bake it at a LOW temp so it doesn't turn into powdered charcoal.
Alternately, do the squeezing method and then spread it out on newspaper (a few layers thick) and allow to air dry.
hope this helps
dp

Take small handfuls of it and squeeze and squeeze out the excess water (into a second bucket),
squeeze it out a few times.
Spread it out on a baking sheet
and bake it in the oven, whatever the lowest temperature setting is for 10-15 minutes, stir it around, and if it IS still steaming let it go another 10 minutes until dry.
Baking it low will warm it up sufficiently well to dry it out. Be sure to let it cool to room temperature before putting in a viv so it doesn't melt plastic, or make sure it is room temp before putting into a glass enclosure! Sudden temp shock to aquarium glass often causes cracks, or worse messes.
Bake it at a LOW temp so it doesn't turn into powdered charcoal.
Alternately, do the squeezing method and then spread it out on newspaper (a few layers thick) and allow to air dry.
hope this helps
dp

Yes, it did help. Thank you very much!

Back