• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I can't maintain the suggested 24-30C daily temp, I can only do about 22-23. Should I

reptire

Worry?
Neither of my three snakes (a corn, a yellow rat and a cali king) had any problems with this as far as I could tell.

That is very low for digestion. I would think they'd need a MINIMUM of 27C in the warm side. How are you heating? Where are you measuring the temp, and with what?

I don't heat. Room temperature. I've been owning snakes for 7 months now and not a single problem with digestion and poop so far, with neither of the snakes. The snakes do not have a separate warm and a cold side. The room temperature is around 23-24C at day and 21-22C at night.

Well, no, I would not keep snakes without heat like that, but if it is working for you, then you appear to be getting away with it, for now.

In fact, my cali king even seems to be too hot occasionally and bathes in her water dish. This is not due to shedding because I know for a fact she shed not even two weeks ago.

24 Celsius is... 75 degrees Fahrenheit? I agree with Nanci, that is way too low. I don't have direct heat on anything but my hatchlings right now until my racks come in, but I heat the room they're in to 82 degrees. Even then I still worry, though thankfully my racks are scheduled to arrive on Tuesday.

All my snakes that don't have individual heat are at least at 82-84 in the day time and about 78 at night.
While you may be getting away without providing heat for now, it does catch up. I would get a UTH. Seven months is not nearly enough time to be keeping snakes to ignore the sound advise of the members here who have owned and cared for snakes for over 15-20 years.

I seriously doubt a difference of 3 or 4 C° is going to make a difference, "will catch up" etc. I don't keep desert reptiles such as bearded dragons.

I seriously doubt a difference of 3 or 4 C° is going to make a difference, "will catch up" etc. I don't keep desert reptiles such as bearded dragons.

As your snakes grow, they will be eating larger prey. These guys do not produce a large amount of body heat on their own. We can digest all our food no matter the outside temperature. Snakes on the other hand can't. Larger prey items will take longer to digest at cold temperatures, allowing for the meat to literally rot while in their bodies, this causes regurges, and death.

So yeah, why would you ask the question if you just were going to ignore the answer? No one is going to back you up on improper care, so don't be upset when those who are trying to help your snake tell you that you are wrong.

It really makes all the difference. Crested geckos for example suffer at 86 degrees, but are fine at 83. You really can't half-ass much with herps.

I agree with everyone else. Heat is actually needed to digest larger prey the bigger they get. A couple of degrees makes a huge difference when you are dealing with cold blooded animals. They can not regulate their own heat.

I am also wondering why do you ask a question if you seem to already know that you are doing everything right. Man, I wish I could become an expert herp keeper in 7 months. Would of shaved years of research.

You ever been to the Carolinas, Florida, etc.? It's HOT in corn snake country, at least in the times of year they are out and moving. 22-23 Celsius (71 to 73 degrees) is not going to keep them alive long term. Either you are reading temps wrong or have been very lucky. I'll ask again: What kind of thermometer are you measuring temps with?

Also, snakes don't soak just because they are hot. I have to pull water out of some brumation tubs because they won't stay out of them when it's 40 degrees (4.4 C). You can listen to the people here or not, but I think we'd all prefer you not ask the question if you are going to argue with the answers. For the sake of your mistreated animals, I hope you remedy the situation.

I've just had tonsillectomy, which means 2 weeks of intense pain. I won't do much about this particular worry during this time but I will "remedy the situation", meaning I will be getting a proper temp reading in 2 days (I may have been wrong the whole time and the room temperature here may actually be about 26-27 C in the middle of summer) and I will order a heat rock.

I've just had tonsillectomy, which means 2 weeks of intense pain. I won't do much about this particular worry during this time but I will "remedy the situation", meaning I will be getting a proper temp reading in 2 days (I may have been wrong the whole time and the room temperature here may actually be about 26-27 C in the middle of summer) and I will order a heat rock.

Ouch! I won't let the doctor take my tonsils; I use 'em to chew with!

Another thought to consider regarding your snakes soaking, is a mite infestation. Many snakes will try to submerge themselves in an attempt to stop the biting parasites. Have you checked for them?

Anyway, it's good to hear that you are going to get some undertank heat mats. I hope you either have, or will get, a good thermostat as well.

Kathy

Checked, definitely no mites. I don't have money for a thermostat right now and while the heat mat will arrive tomorrow, its placement is problematic. I won't be able to get it under the tank because it will potentially burn the table. I need polysterene first. Until then, I might put it in the viv itself and check its warmness every five minutes until I'm sure that the maximum heat it produces will not burn my snake. Or if it would, I will take it out until I get the polysterene.

Oh, and before you worry too much, the heat mat is not specifically "under tank", it just can be used that way. However, it's originally for desert reptiles, so I imagine it gets over 30C. Even then, it will only occupy one third of the vivarium, so the snake is free to cool down elsewhere.

Also, you guys might have misunderstood me or I perhaps wrote unclearly. I only have one snake right now, a cali king. In the past 7 months, I've had a corn and a yellow rat too. Relax, they're perfectly fine! They're just taken care of by others now.

Back