• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is it normal for rat snakes to occasionally emit short hissing sounds?

reptire

It's an audible burst of air from the nostrils of my yellow rat snake, done seemingly randomly, about 2-3 times in 24 hours. It lasts no longer than a second.

One of my corn snakes does this at any point right before or during the shedding process. It sounds like a 'huff' noise.

I was going to suggest what hypnoctopus did, perhaps shedding related. How long have you had your snake? The reason I ask, is are you sure it's not a respiratory infection or similar? How do you know it's a few times in 24 hours? Meaning, most people don't have the luxury of sitting non stop with our snakes. Factor 5-8 hours of sleep, and work and/or school, and you in theory have now potentially decreased that "snake time" by 50-75%. This could mean this sound is more frequent than 2-3 time in 24 hours.

If it is a new snake, perhaps it is a guarded response to its new environment.

-braingarble

I got him around the first days of May this year, so about one and a half months ago tops. I have the luxury these days because I attend a university and it's exam period right now. :) But yeah, sleeping takes away some time.
I doubt it's a respiratory infection because apart from this, he seems perfectly fine. Although it could be shedding related because he has a retained eyecap... I'm currently waiting whether it will come off with the next shed, given that I can't rub it off with wet swabs (although admittedly, I did it very gently - I don't want to risk hurting him).

I have a corn snake that is always whistling. It freaks me out. He doesn't have any sort of RI or stuck shed, he's just always been that way.

Does your snake burrow much?

I have a corn that come breeding season likes to burrow like mad, and he ends up with dust in his nares, which gives him a whistle or wheeze. It goes away after he stops burrowing and a few sheds. I switched substrate this year to help, but he still manages to pack it in.

Mine "talks" to himself like Alicat's does, it's kind of strange. He makes little whistle and snuffly noises, but has had no sign of a respiratory infection (I'm paranoid so I check him often)

Back