• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My Yellow Rat Snake had several bad sheds before at shop, a weird thing happened now

reptire

So I was picking him out of his enclousure and noticed that his eyes were blue. I put him in the bathtub and soaked him in warm water, then the blue eyecaps were gone...
Then his eyes were only blue in a circle around the edges, which was the case when I bought him too (and I can't get it off for the life of me, tried several techniques, waiting for the next shed).

What's the deal?

I have no idea what would be going on with the eyes that are blue, then aren't, then are blue only in a circle around the edges. Is it possible it just looks different in different lighting?

As far as soaking, I think that is only recommended once the snake has gotten to the actual shedding part of the shed cycle, not while the snake is in blue. Some people believe that soaking too soon can be the cause of a bad shed, or make the situation worse, because it'll soak out the lubricant or whatever it is that the snake produces to separate the old skin.

I've discovered the problem. He has a retained eye cap on one eye. Tried gently using warm soaked cotton to rub it out, soaking, whatever, doesn't work.
So I should wait for the next shed, right?

When I had a snake with a retained eye cap I soaked him daily for 20 minutes, in weak tea strength Betadine. I also put a mild hand lotion directly on the eye, but after a week changed to a veterinary opthalmic solution. All this was as directed by the vet. When he went blue I misted his bin daily. The eye cap shed off.

As long as you keep him moist enough I would leave it there. It most likely will shed off with his next shed :)

Back