• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Mites in eyes?

I understood

and today I would not. I simply stated an old method I and many others used at some point. I didn't make it up one day, somebody else suggsted it to me. And it did work. With no harm to the snake. I would hardly call that a mistake.

Hey Cflaguy I got what you were saying.
I love hearing input from folks who have been handing herps for years,like you have. awesome.

Just like many interventions of today; you often find someone who had an old school remedy that did the job.

the beauty of the forums is we can all learn.

and today I would not. I simply stated an old method I and many others used at some point. I didn't make it up one day, somebody else suggsted it to me. And it did work. With no harm to the snake. I would hardly call that a mistake.

I don't buy that for a second.
The chances of the bleach killing only bad bacteria are nonexistant. There's no way it didn't kill something useful, whether or not you may have noticed it. :nope:

I don't care what you buy or don't buy....

I did it, snake lived a long and happy life, bred and was merry. Maybe if I keep reptiles another 27 years or so I can be as knowledgeable as those who haven't even been on the planet that long.
I'm done with this thread.

Sounds to me like you don't care one way or another what ill effects your "successful" treatment may have on reptiles.

Good riddance. :shrugs:

For centuries, people used to use leeches to treat a variety of ailments. Then, with the onset of "modern" medicine, it went out of fashion as a useless and barbaric treatment. Guess what, they are back in use as a proven and valuable medical treatment.

And as for drinking a little bit of mildly soapy water, I'm sure every one that has ever taken a bath or a shower has done that and it hasn't killed anyone yet. In fact, I'll wager that a good portion of the membership of this forum has even had a bar of soap placed in their mouth by a parent at some point in their life. Pity that particular treatment is not used as often as it used to be, but there is still hope that it, too, will come back into fashion as a tried and true disciplinary treatment.

Sounds to me like you don't care one way or another what ill effects your "successful" treatment may have on reptiles.

Adam,
I have followed some of your threads/post for a little while now and after seeing what is happening in this thread I have come to the conlusion that you are a closed minded, arrogant, ignorant young man who has the audasity to pretty much "call out" a member of CS.com that has been dealing with snakes for longer then you have been alive. He never once stated for anyone to use the methods he posted. He was just pointing out that it is much easier to deal with problems/health issues your snake may have today then it was when he first started getting into snakes. He was just stating some of the things that had to be done "back in the day" when issues like this arose. Nowadays, like Cflaguy said, you can just walk into any petstore and get just about anything you need. You had no right to question his insight or experience when you, yourself, have none. What I would like to know is, how have we managed to get by and practice good husbandry skills and take care of these snakes for years without the help and expertise noobs like you possess. Maybe you should write a book, with your vast knowledge and wisdom, to help all of us lost souls who have more experience then you. You are rude, offensive and have no manners. So to you I say..................

GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!!

This is just my opinion, which I am entitled to, but I think you are nothing but a spiteful, self-absorbed, know-nothing little puke. :puke01:
To tell you the truth, I don't give two sh*ts what you think of me.
I don't care if that last statement gets me a couple day vacation or not. I am getting so sick of people like you who have one maybe two Cornsnakes and think they know everything there is to know about snakes. I have been interested in collecting, handleing, studying, breeding and selling snakes for half my life and I still learn something new just about every day. The problem is they close their mind to a drop of education and open it to let flow a river of ignorance. I don't get it. :shrugs:

Sit Down! Shut Up! & Listen!​

In fact, I'll wager that a good portion of the membership of this forum has even had a bar of soap placed in their mouth by a parent at some point in their life. Pity that particular treatment is not used as often as it used to be, but there is still hope that it, too, will come back into fashion as a tried and true disciplinary treatment.
Adam, I bet you are so ignorant that you don't even understand as to what she was trying to say. Sad.
I was thinking the same thing Susan. I have a bar of Ivory soap that I was thinking on carving Adam's name into then thought it would be a waste of a perfectly good bar of soap. Wouldn't work on him as he is too far gone plus I use that bar of soap to wash my pinkies.
UhOh. What was I thinking? I probably should have asked the resident "Grand Pubbar of Cornsnakes" if it was ok for me to do that. Damn!
Jay :cool:

Jay, consider yourself banned for 24 hours. Due to some glitches in the system, you must voluntarily log off and not log on until your time is up. You have been sent an official PM on this matter.

Adam,
I have followed some of your threads/post for a little while now and after seeing what is happening in this thread I have come to the conlusion that you are a closed minded, arrogant, ignorant young man who has the audasity to pretty much "call out" a member of CS.com that has been dealing with snakes for longer then you have been alive. He never once stated for anyone to use the methods he posted. He was just pointing out that it is much easier to deal with problems/health issues your snake may have today then it was when he first started getting into snakes. He was just stating some of the things that had to be done "back in the day" when issues like this arose. Nowadays, like Cflaguy said, you can just walk into any petstore and get just about anything you need. You had no right to question his insight or experience when you, yourself, have none. What I would like to know is, how have we managed to get by and practice good husbandry skills and take care of these snakes for years without the help and expertise noobs like you possess. Maybe you should write a book, with your vast knowledge and wisdom, to help all of us lost souls who have more experience then you. You are rude, offensive and have no manners. So to you I say..................
I agree with you a 100% on this Jay.. you got some rep.

*giggles* Not quite sure what some people expect at times, and quite frankly a lot of kudos belongs to the ones that have brought us this hobby to the point it has gotten..

I am not an old timer, but I have be fortunante enough to get to know some old timers who were willing to share their expieriances.. Unfortunantly some folks sometimes forget what they need to do on the pot, and just end up dumping it on themselves and making a mess they can't quite clean up..

Jay, thank you for taking one for the team..*LOL*

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Jay is the man!!!

I tried to be civil in a PM to Adam and he proceeded to call me names
this was reported to adminstration and got nothing.
Jay gets this.. ?? ..

I value my lessons from all I talk to here and have all the respect in the world to those that have brought this hobby to the magnitude we have now.
I hope 1 bad apple dosen't mess up this great CS family..
I applaud Jay for saying what Im sure most of us wanted to!

Thank you, Gene. Seems young Adam has been spreading some pretty ugly lies about other members behind the scenes. Why does this get to go on?

Last edited:

WOW, Adam you cease to amaze me!( I mean this the way I 've written it) You completely take the shared experience of another member...twist it until it's not recognizable and then have the audacity to say "good riddance"?
How many chances have you been given here?
You owe Cflaguy an immediate apology!

reps to Jay!

Uhh what happened here? Somebody getting too big for his britches and people getting banned for speaking up about it, hmm not too cool. :rolleyes:
So anyway back to the mites.
Here is advice taken directly from The Corn Snake Manual by Kathy Love - somebody whose advice you can trust.
"A few drops of liquid soap added to the soaking water reduces the surface tension in the water which cuts down on the air pockets under and around the snakes' scales and drowns mites more quickly"
And if you treat the snake you also have to throw out all the substrate and treat the cage so here is what she has to say about using bleach - "soak all cages and cage furniture, dipping them in a strong (10% or greater) liquid chlorine and water solution for ten minutes."
As for mites on the eyes "a dab of petroleum jelly over a snakes eyes will suffocate mites buried around the ocular scale"
All of these quotes are taken from page 61 of The Corn Snake Manual, a book which has been updated so if you have new version page 123
I have also successfully treated mites with reptile relief, which is sold in pet stores. You can spray it directly on the snake, but for the eye area I would spray it on a cloth and lightly wipe the affected area with it.You can also use it to clean a cage.

Adam, Craig has forgotten more about snakes than you will probably ever learn. He is my friend in real life, as well as here. I, too, think you owe him an apology.

Chlorine bleach is commonly used as emergency water purification for humans, as well as animals.

I tried to be civil in a PM to Adam and he proceeded to call me names
this was reported to adminstration and got nothing.
Jay gets this.. ?? ..

I honestly don't remember seeing a report/PM pertaining to this. I'm sending you a PM.

It seemed pretty clear from his post that Jay knew that there would be consequences for stating his opinions in the way that he did. The mods are only here to deal with rules infractions. It doesn't matter if the infraction was provoked or not. But for some, it's worth it to take a small disciplinary hit to get a point across. I don't encourage it, but I've been guilty of it myself. Jay will be all right. ;)

Mite treatment has varied over the years. As already been said, I'd consult Kathy Love's book. Also, prevent-a-mite spray works well. There is also a note in the literature about covering the entire snake with vegetable oil as well...but I cannot find the journal right now.

Here is an article about mites found in Herpetologica from 1947 ....

Attachments

• mites.JPG
    mites.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 122
Also, so nobody gets the wrong idea, I was originally asking him whether the chlorine was in drinking water or in bath water.
Once he said he didn't recommend it any more, it seemed clear it was drinking water, and I left it at that.
I have no idea how anyone thought that rudeness was necessary.
I've heard of it being used in conjunction with dish soap in bath water, in small amounts, but never by itself, and not in drinking water. So this was news to me.

Back