• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Guess the hybrids and win a $50 credit

O.K. I think I'll give this one more day only because I'm too tired to post the answers tonight. Poll will end tomorrow night. Thanks so much to everyone who is participating. :crazy02:

1 corn
2corn
3corns
4corn
5 corn
6 corn
7corn
8 corn
9corn
10 corn
11 corn
12 corn

Lets see. :)

well since im in canada.. it doesnt count but here we go..

1)Corn
2)Corn
3)Corn
4)Corn
5)Hybrid
6)Hybrid
7)Corn
9)Corn
10)Corn
11)Corn
12)Corn

(mind you i will make myself look like a fool :grin01: )

*makes metal note to check back tomorrow*

BTW, when you list the answers will you give hints on what to look for when distinguishing pure corns from hybrids? I know there have been a few such as color, head shape, pattern, and maybe eye posistion, but it seems awful difficult to notice the differences unless they are side by side I think...

ANYwho, thatnks for giving us an opportunity to participate!

Jenn

Just for grins I'll have a go, Joe can have the credit if by any chance I win. :grin01:

#1 corn
#2 hybrid
#3 hybrid
#4 corn
#5 corn
#6 hybrid
#7 corn
#8 hybrid
#9 corn
#10 corn
#11 corn
#12 hybrid

Well....

Since your 2006 breeding plans did not show any hybrids (besides the speckled king cross...and these are not those) my educated guess without analyzing the pictures would be that they are the following:

1:Corn
2:Corn
3:Corn
4:Corn
5:Corn
6:Corn
7:Corn
8:Corn
9:Corn
10:Corn
11:Corn
12:Corn

Then again...maybe your are hiding something? Maybe they are not yours? Maybe you are ashamed to work with hybrids so you don't put them on your list? :shrugs: Or...maybe I'm just plain wrong! :crazy02:

1. Corn
2. Corn
3. Corn
4. Corn
5. Corn
6. Corn
7. Corn
8. Corn
9. Corn
10.Corn

Are the mots from your Okeetee Motley project? And interesting that the caramels have the same 3 spike head patterns that I've seen in all of my ultra/ultramel progeny and their possible hets.

Well for those of you who missed, don't feel bad. The only reason I decided to start this poll is because I was looking at some known hybrids and I was amazed how little they "looked" like hybrids. I seriously questioned if I would be able to pick them out. As I finally got to the point of posting the poll, I'd been looking at the pics so long knowing the answers, I started to fear it would be easy for everyone. I guess not. Not only did the Hybrids get surprisingly low votes, no one was able to pick them all out.

Numbers 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, and 9 are all 25% Grey Rat and 75% Cornsnake. Stay tuned in the genetics forum to see why this is even more relevent than the apparent issue. However, frankly I'm beginning to see a lot more value in registered stock. Or is the battle for pure lines so far gone that it's time to stop caring? :shrugs: Interested in peoples thoughts.
FYI
#1 only 24% guessed hybrid
#2 only 34% guessed hybrid
#3 only 24% guessed hybrid
#7 only 26% guessed hybrid
#8 only 15% guessed hybrid
#9 only 32% guessed hybrid
Here are their pics again....

Attachments

• Subject1.JPG
    Subject1.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 195
  • Subject2.JPG
    Subject2.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Subject3.JPG
    Subject3.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 194
  • Subject7.JPG
    Subject7.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 194
  • Subject8.JPG
    Subject8.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 196
Gee...I only guessed two of hybrids right. That's scary! With all these hybrids being bred I think I'm going to get out corns...seriously. I hate the idea of buying a corn and never knowing if I'm in fact getting a corn. This makes me very sad.

Since we're going to be emo about this:

I am alone.
Scared, sad, and unsure
Because my corns may not be pure.
I am alone.
Now my snakes cannot be cool
Because they come from a mixed gene pool
Cry myself to sleep
Could they be hybrids?
I can only weep.
Scared, sad, and unsure.
Because these corns, they are not pure.

I mean, really...
Firebug said:
Gee...I only guessed two of hybrids right. That's scary! With all these hybrids being bred I think I'm going to get out corns...seriously. I hate the idea of buying a corn and never knowing if I'm in fact getting a corn. This makes me very sad.
:rolleyes: IMO the only sad thing is that people are willing to abandon a hobby entirely because their animals may not meet certain social standards. I'll never understand why this is such a big deal. :shrugs:

Back