• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

PILE-O LAVAS & LAVA CINDERS !!

Walter Smith

CRAZY BOUT' CORNS !!
Checking on this clutch for it's first sheds there are a coulpe still to do so, but I thought I would snap a couple pics. anyway.

Walter
:crazy02:BOUT' CORNS !!

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 581
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 582
This is must be a really exciting season for you. It has to be at least the 10th photo thread you've posted that made me jealous. Gorgeous babies. Congrats.

This is must be a really exciting season for you. It has to be at least the 10th photo thread you've posted that made me jealous. Gorgeous babies. Congrats.

Thanks Chris !!

To be honest EVERY season is exciting to me, but it seems each one gets a little more so, especially when you prove out possible hets and/or hit targets with high odds and get to see your imagination and work come to realization.

Walter

Cinder lavas for all!! This is a gorgeous morph. Hopefully Walter will offer some for sale!

Cinder lavas for all!! This is a gorgeous morph. Hopefully Walter will offer some for sale!

LOL......Thanks Nanci !!
You are right, this is a gorgeous morph, especially as an adult.

I hope this isn't taken as advertisement here and if so, please edit, but
these will ALL hit my website available page once they are ready to go ;)

Walter

I don't think there's anything against the rules in saying I just hatched these beauties and they will be offered for sale when ready...

You know...you could sneak one of those ugly gray things in with the Miami tessera I intend to get from you. I'll let you keep all the pretty red-orange ones.

You know...you could sneak one of those ugly gray things in with the Miami tessera I intend to get from you. I'll let you keep all the pretty red-orange ones.

This could be done Chris ;)
BTW, The Miami Tessera clutch should start pipping by this weekend or so.

Walter

Nice clutch Walt! Good to see that that young man proved out too! This year I'll have lavas het cinder stripe, so hopefully in a few years I'll be making YOU drool. :punch:

Oooh, lava cinders...

Because I need more snakes. o.o But. I have neither lava nor cinder in my collection yet.

Good looking snakes, Walter!

Very nice clutch Walter!!

Thanks Steve !!

Nice clutch Walt! Good to see that that young man proved out too! This year I'll have lavas het cinder stripe, so hopefully in a few years I'll be making YOU drool. :punch:

Thanks Mitch and I hope you do. I don't mind drooling every now and again.......LOL

Oooh, lava cinders...

Because I need more snakes. o.o But. I have neither lava nor cinder in my collection yet.

Good looking snakes, Walter!

Thanks Sarah !!

Walter

Congrats! Looks like I may have not needed to start that thread I started....

Please tell me you hatched female Lava Cinders? I need to be reassured that my 12 males in a row is just a hot streak.

Congrats! Looks like I may have not needed to start that thread I started....

Please tell me you hatched female Lava Cinders? I need to be reassured that my 12 males in a row is just a hot streak.

Thanks Carol !!

pretaining to your question, unfortunatly NO I did not.
I'm starting to think we may be dealing with "Sex Linked" genes in the Cinders, just as it had been proven in the Banana/Coral Glow Ball Pythons.

Here is the explination from a Ball Python breeder in what they found with the Banana/CG Balls:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]By now, most of you have heard or read about the so called “sex linked” trait the coral glows and bananas possess. I am sure most people thought it was some made up story to convince buyers that there were a limited number of males produced to preserve the pricing of the project. I was skeptical in the beginning, but took the chance in buying a male. From what I was told by multiple breeders in this project, was they were getting predominantly female corals/bananas and predominantly male non corals/bananas siblings. Well from my breeding in 2011, I noticed the “sex linked” trait in all of my clutches. The corals were predominantly one sex and the non corals were the opposite sex but the difference is that I got the complete opposite.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What we figured out is that my male came from a visual male coral. And the male corals/bananas produced in the past came from female corals/bananas. This made us to believe that whichever parent that is the trait carrier will determine what the sex the male coral glow/banana offspring is going to produce.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To simplify the explanation:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*If the male coral/banana was produced from a female coral/banana, that male will produce predominantly females (Female makers).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*If the male coral/banana was produced from a male coral/banana, that offspring will produce predominantly males (Male makers).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]*All of the non coral/banana siblings in the clutch will be mainly the opposite sex.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I say this because I find it odd that you asked, which tells me you produced ALL males, as well as I did. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Sire used in my breeding IS a Lava Cinder. The three NON-Cinders (Lava het Cinder) in the clutch is ALL female ???? :shrugs:[/FONT]
Was the sire to your clutch a Lava Cinder?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Plus, last year ALL of the Buttermints I produced from my MALE Buttermint, were ALL males, the only females were Butters (NON-Cinder).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This breeding actually started me thinking about this "Sex Link" thing, but now after this year, I'm betting this may be the case.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Walter[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]:crazy02:BOUT' CORNS !![/FONT]

Even with a sex-linked trait you should get females that are lava cinder if one parent is homozygous and the other is het. For example, in humans the gene responsible for red-green color blindness is on the X chromosome and is recessive to wild type. But males only have one X chromosome so if they have the mutant allele for color blindness they will be colorblind as they have no other X chromosome carrying a normal allele. In females, having one mutant allele is fine since they have two X chromosomes and the other chromosome will have a normal allele which is dominant. However, if a male with color blindness mates with a female who is a carrier, 1/2 the daughters will be colorblind (all of the daughters will receive a mutant allele from dad, and half will also receive a mutant allele from mom). Even though sex chromosomes and sex-determination are different (and not fully understood) in corn snakes and humans, if the trait is simply sex-linked you should get lava cinder females from that pairing. I have my own idea although it will require a lengthy explanation, hopefully I can get around to it soon!

Walter and carol, can you give me the genotypes of the dames? Are they lava het cinder, cinder het lava, or het for both?

Back