• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Choice of disinfectant

sawsehel

Hypnotic
What kind of disinfectant should you use for reptiles in general and cornsnakes in particular? Is there any general type that can be used or should it always be a reptile-specific disinfectant?

Is there any disinfectant that should be avoided at all cost?

Thanx in advance,

Sebastian, Finland

Nolvasan. Beats anything hands-down in my book. I've been using it for a year now, after always using bleach. Its much easier-just spray and wipe dry.

ChaosCat said:
Nolvasan. Beats anything hands-down in my book. I've been using it for a year now, after always using bleach. Its much easier-just spray and wipe dry.
I agree with Cat. I've been using Nolvasan (or the generic equivalent) ever since I started keeping reptiles. I love it!

JG89 said:
Could you use lysol or is that bad for them?
I personally would not use lysol. Lysol is toxic to some animals (cats, in particular), and I would be afraid to take that risk...not knowing how it would affect my snakes.

Nolvasan? whats that? i hate soaking things in bleach it drives me nuts and then you have to make sure all of the bleach is off of them. If there is something else easier i would gladly like to hear about it!

"Nolvasan is an Unscented 2% Chlorehexadine Solution that was created and tested at the Fort Dodge Animal research laboratories in Ft Dodge, IA. "

"Nolvasan" (chlorhexidine diacetate),
the only"EPA-registered" chlorhexidine disinfectant,
works against at least 60 different bacteria, fungi, yeasts,and viruses.

Nolvasan is non-corrosive, has minimal to no skin irritation, and retains antimicrobial activity in the presence of organic matter.
Nolvasan's unique binding to skin proteins provides residual activity for as long as two days.
(Many other companies are manufacturing a "cloned" type product with the same active ingredient.)

A generic chlorhexidine solution can be purchased on-line, here: http://commerce.omahavaccine.com/single_product_display.cfm?id=13366
Nolvasan itself is expensive (about $35.00/gallon), but it does last for quite a while.

When using Nolvasan with water bowls, I spray them, brush them and let them sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Then I rinse them very thoroughly with water. Even if a substance has no reaction to the skin, drinking it is something to be avoided.

Skye...actually chlorhexidine is safe when ingested in low amounts. It is actually in some of the dental products for dogs and cats (humans, too). I do, however, rinse my water bowls after cleaning them. It would not hurt the snake if it was sprayed on it, either. Of course, unless the snake has a wound or something, there is no need to spray it directly on it. We use Nolvasan every day at work for cleaning wounds on most species of animals. We even use it as a surgical scrub...It is a VERY safe product.

I doubt that is the only place on-line to get it. You can do a search to find other places.

Corncrazy,

I ordered the generic alternative and it came in the mail yesterday. The instruction say to dilute it - 2 tablespoons to a gallon of water. Do you dilute it, or just use the solution itself to clean the viv? I plan on removing the snake prior to cleaning, so exposure of the chemical won't be an issue.

Back