• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Choice of disinfectant

rippit,

I definitely dilute it. A gallon of the stuff will last quite some time. I typically spray it on and leave it on for about 15 minutes then wipe it out. I don't even rinse it. It is a product that continues to kill bacteria for a couple of days after it is used. It is a VERY safe product and will not harm the snake even if not rinsed off. I use it to clean/treat minor wounds on all of my animals, as well. I have even used it inside of the mouth of one of my snakes.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I just clean out all my vivs this week and thought there has to be something better than bleaching. That was a pain, especially waiting for all the items to dry to make sure they were safe to put back in.

Thanks for bringing this thread back up. I've been using Wipe Out 3 Terrarium cleaner. Has anybody used that before? I just spray it on and wipe it off while my snakes are eating while I'm cleaning their vivs. I definitely want to try the Novalsan.

Sorry Terri, my bad, it's Wipe Out 1 made by Zoo Med. Terrarium & small animal cage disinfectant, cleaner, & deodorizer. You spray it on, leave it for 5 mins, wipe it out, then wait until it is dry and ventilated before you put the snakes back in.

I clean mine completely every 2-3 weeks, but Im a neat freak and have my snakes in my bedroom. Love that new aspen smell. I spot clean every 2 days though.

JTGoff69 said:
Sorry Terri, my bad, it's Wipe Out 1 made by Zoo Med. Terrarium & small animal cage disinfectant, cleaner, & deodorizer. You spray it on, leave it for 5 mins, wipe it out, then wait until it is dry and ventilated before you put the snakes back in.
Does it say what the active ingredient is? With the nolvasan, you don't even have to wait for the tank to air out. You can wipe it and put the snake right back in!
howie4702 said:
How often does everyone clean there tanks? Monthly?
I completely clean my tanks every 2-3 weeks and spot clean every 2-3 days, also.

Okay Terri, I'll give it a shot! LOL It says:
Active ingredients: Alkyl C14, 50%, C12 40%, c16 10%
Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride 0.13%
Inert Ingredients 99.87%

Doesn't sound like there is much in there! I know the Nolvasan is only a 2% solution, but it is really good stuff. The generic stuff is about half the cost of name brand Nolvasan, by the way.

Thanks Terri, I ordered the generic version from the link you posted earlier. At $12.95 a gallon you can't beat it!!

WOW...the price has been dropped even more. The generic was around $18.95 a gallon when I posted that link. Let us know what you guys think of it after you've used it!

This was one of the most useful threads I've seen on here - thanks for posting this. I'll probably be cleaning my vivs every 2-3 weeks now that I don't have to lug them down to the garage.

rippit said:
This was one of the most useful threads I've seen on here - thanks for posting this. I'll probably be cleaning my vivs every 2-3 weeks now that I don't have to lug them down to the garage.

TRUE this is a very helpful thread. There should be some way to have this and other helpful threads archived in a VERY HELPFUL section

gatorlink said:
TRUE this is a very helpful thread. There should be some way to have this and other helpful threads archived in a VERY HELPFUL section

All you need to do is use the search feature - that's how I found it.

Maybe Rich could make it a "sticky". Another good sticky would be a basic care sheet for new corn snake owners. :idea:

rippit said:
All you need to do is use the search feature - that's how I found it.

Searching only helps if you know what your'e looking for. As a new snake owner there are so many questions that relate to feeding, housing, heating, shedding, substrate and the list goes on. Apart from recomending kathy's book it would be good if someone could be directed to the BEGINNERS section.

I ordered the chlorhexidine solution from Omaha Vaccine, but it's not chlorhexidine diacetate. It's chlorhexidine gluconate. Effectively, is this the same?

Thanks

Back