• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

room temperature?

pharaoh2653 said:
can corn snakes be kept successfully at room temp? what would be the minimum temp a cornsnake should be kept at?

Read the FAQ's down farther in the forums... they talk some about the preferred temps that Corns like to be at. :)

It depends on where you live

Most North American colubrids can be successfully kept at room temperatures as long as the temp is above 75-76 degrees. They will most likely require a heat source during the cooler months of the year. Down here in Texas, I usually turn off my heat strips off in April and don't turn them on again until late November.

I would say it is fine to keep them at room temp, (mine stay on the cold side most of the time anyway) Except when feeding, they need the heat to digest, around 85 degrees F.

Energi2er said:
Except when feeding, they need the heat to digest, around 85 degrees F.

Any temp above 76 is still fine even after meals. ;)

I keep pretty much all of mine at room temp except for brumation or during the winter if they're not brumating. I'm sitting at 78-83 usually otherwise.

This has been SO helpful to read. I'm a new owner of a beautiful little baby corn and I've been SO stressed about the temperatures for him. I'm in Southern California though so it's been HOT here outside. I was afraid to turn his heat mat off, but I just checked the temp on that side and it's way too hot. I'm thinking I'll just leave it off for the summer time when it's warm and then turn it on when the weather starts to cool down. Going to feed him for the first time tomorrow so hopefully he'll go for it right away! Great info on this forum! Glad you experienced people are here! :)

This has been SO helpful to read. I'm a new owner of a beautiful little baby corn and I've been SO stressed about the temperatures for him. I'm in Southern California though so it's been HOT here outside. I was afraid to turn his heat mat off, but I just checked the temp on that side and it's way too hot. I'm thinking I'll just leave it off for the summer time when it's warm and then turn it on when the weather starts to cool down. Going to feed him for the first time tomorrow so hopefully he'll go for it right away! Great info on this forum! Glad you experienced people are here! :)

Hey there :)

While, as has been shown in this thread, it's perfectly fine to keep snakes at room temperature if said room is warm enough, I personally would be more careful about babies; their little bodies are so tiny that they are much more susceptible to changes in the temps around them - they warm up and cool down much more quickly and have less control over it, so make sure there is absolutely no doubt that your room will not get too cool, especially during digestion.

Also, I am curious as to why your set-up was getting too warm with the heat mat present? A properly statted heat mat will always turn itself off when the ambient temperature is above the temperature the stat is set too, and just sit there not giving off any heat, so while it can't cool the setup down, it can't make it too hot either. Only mentioning it as food for thought - maybe you could make sure that your thermostat is working correctly and is set to the correct temp :)

Hello everyone,

Ive just recieved my first baby corn today and am very worried about getting the temp right, I live in London and its getting cold now so at the moment its 8c outside, inside my RUB its at 22c on the warm side and I have had the mat on for 6 hours so not sure its gonna get any hotter, Im really worried about leaving him overnight as temp will drop another few celcius, 22c is 72f, help please.

"Any heat source" should be used along with a thermostat. You did not state if you had a thermostat or what it was set to. Set the thermostat to the correct temp. The heat pad should be under the bottom of the cage. If you have the heat pad mounted correctly and the thermostat set correctly, the temp should be ok.

72 F is ok for the cool side of the cage (room temp) but the warm side should be 83 to 86 F.

............ I have had the mat on for 6 hours so not sure its gonna get any hotter, Im really worried about leaving him overnight as temp will drop another few celcius, 22c is 72f, help please.

The heat pad is "Not going to raise the Air Temp inside the entire cage." It simply heats one spot, that's the spot where it is located. If you are reading the temps inside of the cage from a little thermometer stuck to the side, you are doing it incorrectly. You need to take your temperature reading directly on the bottom spot of the cage where the heat pad is located.

My guess is you're going to find it's probably way too hot if you have the mat plugged in for 6 hours without a thermostat. Some of those heat pad can hit 140 degrees. Beware!

Hello Karl,

The pet shop didnt seem to think I would need a stat and said the 7 kw mat would be fine.

I have a therm stuck on the side at the middle of the box like I was told by the pet shop, I realised this is not really giving me a correct floor temp so made a hole for a probe about 1 inch from the floor, its now reading 23c 73f in the warm end. I will get a stat tomorrow definately.

I'm not sure if I made too many holes also, I have 40 holes in the warm side and 50 in the cool side and also 6 holes on the lid, I have a towel drapped over the lid and side of the RUB and have now covered 20 holes in the warm end which has stopped the temp falling more.

I won't argue with you. This will be my last post on the subject. "Pet Shops" are notorious for giving bad advice, especially for keeping snakes. Just as the heater in your car or home has a thermostat, so should the heater for your caged animals.

Those little 7 kw heat pads as you stated do in fact get too hot for snakes.

Snakes do not fly through the air or crawl on the side of the cage. A thermometer mounted on the side of the cage is useless. It simply tells you what the temp is on the side of the cage, where the snake "Does not live." The snake lives on the bottom of the cage and the temp should be read directly over the heat pad.

Without a thermostat, the heat pad stays on all the time, and as I've already stated, some of them can hit 140 degrees or more.

If you will read through the other posts about "Heat, Temperature, Thermostats, etc" all over this website, you'll find that "Most" of the folks here do exactly what I have already told you.

The ones that don't, and want to argue about it, and refer back to what the Pet Shop owner told them usually come back in a few weeks whining about "Why is my snake sick or dead."

It's your snake. Do it your way. Good luck.

Jesus, Karl mate who is arguing?

I've literally picked up my first snake and was looking for a friendly forum with no arseholes that think newbies lesser than them.

Thanks for the advice (nothing that I already didnt know btw) I think I'll for a different forum to look for someone who will help without about it.

Back