• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Herpin day two... (Murphy's Law steps in)

Cflaguy

Old School Snakeman
Lisa and I had a job to do today. Last year a family came into the pet store she worked at with a .50 size Gopher Tortoise in a wins glass full of water. Two days under a heat lamp and he was O.K. Today we turned him lose at Withlacoochee. And went herpin both there and at the Green Swamp. We had a good day. Pics to follow- found 4 snakes today!
Typical Withlacoochee habitat. :crazy02:

Attachments

• W road.jpg
    W road.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 143
Before we arrived...

at the place we scouted to release Gully II, Lisa spotted a snake DOR. I pulled around and at first thought we had a color morph of a mud snake. It turned out to be the grandma of Banded Water snakes. Odd color and BTW, my flipflop is size 13.

Attachments

• Banded DOR II.jpg
    Banded DOR II.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 141
We said our goodbye...

to Gully II. We drove around the forest during the hot part of the day. There was plenty of evidence of snakes, big snakes crossing the road...

Attachments

• Gully.jpg
    Gully.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 141
  • snake crossing I.jpg
    snake crossing I.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 137
  • snake crossing II.jpg
    snake crossing II.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 142
On to the Green Swamp...

We walked down the newly opened Western Trac of the Green Swamp. There is a limerock road leading to a small horse camp. We found a Brown Snake and a Ringneck both freshly killed.
BTW, the Banded Water had a few inches of tail missing.

Attachments

• Florida Brown.jpg
    Florida Brown.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 137
  • ringneck.jpg
    ringneck.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 137
Lets try that again...

Hope this one is better...

Attachments

• E Diamondback I.jpg
    E Diamondback I.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 136
I love Green Swamp. On the bike trail, you don't cross a road for the first ten miles. I've seen some great snakes there. And gators. And otters.

Nanci

That pic is so far away, how come you didn't get a real close up macro shot.... :grin01: Really, it looked like a fun day out, and well worth the two hour drive :D Actually that sounds like another field trip....

This is a little closer Joe....

I have a few of me lifting her I'll post a bit later. That is where the Murph Law comes in.

Attachments

• Eastern Diamonback good.jpg
    Eastern Diamonback good.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 109
Nanci are you talking about...

Nanci said:
I love Green Swamp. On the bike trail, you don't cross a road for the first ten miles. I've seen some great snakes there. And gators. And otters.

Nanci
Van Fleet?

Joe, I was handing Lisa something and we were talking about the DOR Ringneck when I looked ahead and saw her crawling across the trail.
I said and I quote, "Diamondback." The first thing out of Lisa's mouth; and I quote, "Don't catch it!" The reason. They say there are no big Diamondbacks left but she was at least 5 and a half. She was a mellow non-aggressive snake. I pinned her several times but Lisa kept yelling; and I quote, " I WANT MY CHILD TO HAVE A FATHER!"
So I figured I would just pick her up on the hook, grab the tail and get a quick pic. She was to heavy to lift with the stick and wouldn't turn for me to grab the tail. She was mellow but stubborn. So I went ahead and caught her and struck a pose. Then the flippin batteries in the camera died.
More pics as I resize them for the web.

Attachments

• Eastern Dback Scurve.jpg
    Eastern Dback Scurve.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 84
Yes, Van Fleet. That's a great snake! I don't know who says there aren't any big ones left- there are in Alachua County...

Nanci

Van Fleet is great I agree...

Nanci said:
Yes, Van Fleet. That's a great snake! I don't know who says there aren't any big ones left- there are in Alachua County...

Nanci
Not only was General Fleet A Florida Gator, but he liked nature as well. We like heading to the Green Swamp to road cruise and usually walk up Fleet before the sun goes down. We've seen Pygmy Rattlers, Yellow Rats, Racers, and just about any variety of water snake you want.

Did you say field trip?

CaptBogart said:
That pic is so far away, how come you didn't get a real close up macro shot.... :grin01: Really, it looked like a fun day out, and well worth the two hour drive :D Actually that sounds like another field trip....
I agree, as I remember on the sheet at the Richloam trailhead it stated Withlacoochee is 179,000 acres. Plenty of field trip material.

Attachments

• Eastern Dback III.jpg
    Eastern Dback III.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 75
That would be so cool to have an actual herping field trip...

Pygmy Rattlers inflict 50% of the venomous bites in Florida!

(I learned from my new Venomous Snakes of the Southeast book that arrived yesterday...)

Nanci

Thanx folks...

Cassandra it was great for me. It has been a decade or so since I've seen an ED in the wild.
Chris after we move I say we go ahead and plan a trip while road cruisin and herpin are still good and it is still somewhat cool; good for early evening or morning herpin.
Nanci you're invited of course but this is late notice and getting late already for good herpin. Any field trip I would assume would also include a drive around the forest during the hot part of the day.
Jeff hurry, they are getting harder to find.

Attachments

• pick up ED.jpg
    pick up ED.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 53
Just got back from road cruisin...

And Murphy bit me in the butt again. Lisa hit me with road cruisin tonight. She hates cruisin. But this was a great surprise and I jumped on it. It was 6:30 and gettin late so we flew out the door. Forgetting the camera.
What crossed our path tonight?
A deer.
An armadillo
Turkey
Several cows.
And two Florida Cottonmouths. One about three and a half. The other about 15." And red/orange as could be. The cottonmouths were on the road at the same time 50 ft apart. I got out and caught the smaller one. Lisa points out the big girl. A truck comes by and asked what we were doing. I said and I quote, "There is another cottonmouth up there I'll get it in a sec. Don't run her over." The m#*^%&!@$*^r drove right down there and ran her over. :angry01: She was still alive but I made the call and euthanized her.

Back