• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

re-acting to voice???

brtrude

Hi guys.

things are goin really well with Dezmond lately. He seems to be settling in very well. He has STILL hasnt pood or musked on me for about a week and a half now! which is great seeing as he did do a lot in the first week! Hes doing really well!

Anyways, something parculliar just happened and i wanted to put it on here to see what you guys think of it.

He was in his cave, were he has been for most of the day, and i could see his head and most of his body inside. I went up to his tank and started to talk to him for a minute to see what happend, i wernt expecting anythin, but he started to flik his tongue and he actually came up to the edge of his cage and stuk khis head out looking at me. I kept talkin to him, this went on for bout 5 mins, he then came out and went into his other terracotta pot hide.

I was just thinkin, did he come out because he herd my voice and was cheking it out or re-acting to my voice and came out because he new it was me?? or did he jsut come out to go into his other hide??

what do you guys rekon??

Lots of people will tell you snakes can't hear, because they don't have external ears, but (newer) research shows they actually can hear. They for sure respond to vibrations.

Yesterday I was checking the two snakes in my bedroom, Addy and Zee. Looking to see if Addy's three assist-fed pinks had stayed down, and just checking on Zee. So how I check for regurges from Addy is just smell her cage. If it smells like fresh shavings- good. So she's fine, and I sniffed Zee's cage just to see if there was a buried poo, and all of the sudden the shavings started moving like there was a sea monster under them...He didn't come out then, but about 30 minutes later he was out getting a drink. Did he hear me sniff? It was instant!

Nanci

its top int it when that happns. I know herd me because hes has been still all day and then whn i shoutd him he began to move about all most instantly.

il take it as a good thing that hes feeling confident and comfortable enough to do that.

:)

He probably saw your silouhette in the light and thought, WTF is that? Flicked his tongue, looked around and continued his snake life.

Cuddles said:
He probably saw your silouhette in the light and thought, WTF is that? Flicked his tongue, looked around and continued his snake life.

There is a party pooper in every crowd. :sidestep:

Gaia will be out on her rock or branch and I'll start talking to her, real soft and calm and the next thing I know she bolts back into her hide. Maybe, just maybe, someday she'll like me.

:crazy02:

Wraith, my little one, is VERY sensitive to sounds. I'm actually under the impression that it was the pinkie squeaking that made her eat finally, since I had tried a live pinky before and she wouldn't touch it. The first one didn't make any noise. On her last chance to eat before she went back, she finally ate the live one I gave her, the only difference was, this one was very noisy.

Any noises made in the general area of her tank cause reactions out of her. So yes, IMO they can hear.

None of my snakes react to me talking to them. They stay in thier hides unless thier cruising. Not one of them will come out if I talk to them I think all 4 hate me..lol

I do however believe snakes hear. It may be vibrations thier feeling but I'd guess when my cat is ontop of thier cages and they come out to investigate a couple minutes later it wasn't the vibration they felt but was the cat meowing they heard.JMHO.

snakemom1961 said:
It may be vibrations thier feeling but I'd guess when my cat is ontop of thier cages and they come out to investigate a couple minutes later it wasn't the vibration they felt but was the cat meowing they heard.JMHO.

Your cats do the same thing? lol. It's never ending for them. It took the dumbies 2 months to realize that there was something in the first tank (it had been sitting out empty for 8 months) but now, everytime I turn around they are on one of my tanks. And now I want to breed mice. It should be interesting.

From Wikipedia

Snakes have no external ears, but they do have a bone called the quadrate under the skin on either side of the head which focuses sound into the cochlea.[2] Their sense of hearing is most sensitive to frequencies around 200–300 Hz.

A snake smells by using its forked tongue to collect airborne particles then passing them to the Jacobson's organ or the Vomeronasal organ in the mouth for examination. The fork in the tongue gives the snake a sort of directional sense of smell. The part of the body which is in direct contact with the surface of the ground is very sensitive to vibration, thus a snake is able to sense other animals approaching.

Skazzle said:
From Wikipedia

Snakes have no external ears, but they do have a bone called the quadrate under the skin on either side of the head which focuses sound into the cochlea.[2] Their sense of hearing is most sensitive to frequencies around 200–300 Hz.

A snake smells by using its forked tongue to collect airborne particles then passing them to the Jacobson's organ or the Vomeronasal organ in the mouth for examination. The fork in the tongue gives the snake a sort of directional sense of smell. The part of the body which is in direct contact with the surface of the ground is very sensitive to vibration, thus a snake is able to sense other animals approaching.

I've learned not to trust Wikipedia because people can change the entries. But sound travels by vibrations in the air, sound waves, and snakes can pick up the sound waves.

Maybe I should talk in a booming voice to Gaia. :shrugs:

There was a time back in my youth when everyone said that dogs don't see color. Now they know dogs do see color, in a fashion. So science is ever changing. I have a hard time believe "facts" written people who don't own snakes and have not done any behavioural observations.

Snakes sense sound through vibration, so I have no problem with the idea of them reacting to a human voice (which might mean there's food about) when they won't react to something like a vacuum cleaner or washing machine (no food involved).

Given that each person's voice will have a slightly different range of pitches and tones, I'm also prepared to believe that they may be able to distinguish one person's voice from another. No actual proof yet though.

Fascinating beasties, that's for sure.

Snakes do have auditory nerves and internal ear bones...not quite as sophisticated as we have but they can hear. No external opening does make for muffling of sounds and I'm certain higher frequency's would be more difficult to hear. Lower would be more in line with what they would notice. Even if they couldn't hear anything...I'd still talk to mine.

suecornish said:
Me too. I just glad Gaia can't talk 'cause she's been hearing my secrets. :grin01:

:crazy02: :crazy02:
Kind of like Bush's baked beans eh? The family recipe and all that!

FWIW--I refuse to believe that any animal can survive, UNCHANGED, for hundreds of thousands of years in the wild without the ability to hear.

Since sound is, ultimately, vibration, and we KNOW snakes are extremely sensitive to vibrations, it only follows, at least in MY mind, that snakes can hear. I think it is fairly egotistical of humans to force everything to be understood in terms of ourselves. Just because they don't hear the same way we do does NOT mean they don't hear.

I had the same conversation a number of years ago regarding trout, and their ability to "hear" with no external ear openings. The simple fact is...feeling and responding to noise-vibrations(soundwaves) IS a form of hearing. It really doesn't matter if it is the same as our comprehension of hearing or not. If an animal can pick up soundwaves, they are hearing.

Of course...I'm no biologist. So I may be entirely full of s......but, I don't think that is the case...

suecornish said:
I've learned not to trust Wikipedia because people can change the entries. But sound travels by vibrations in the air, sound waves, and snakes can pick up the sound waves.

Maybe I should talk in a booming voice to Gaia. :shrugs:

There was a time back in my youth when everyone said that dogs don't see color. Now they know dogs do see color, in a fashion. So science is ever changing. I have a hard time believe "facts" written people who don't own snakes and have not done any behavioural observations.

I disagree completely, if you follow the listed sources, they lead to good research done on snakes involving their perception. Just because people "can" change things on wikipedia, doesn't mean you can immediately discount it as an extremely useful source. Most rogue alterations are detected very quickly, and many users are quick to delete un-cited information. You can think what you want about the facts, but please do not go against what I'm saying, "just because." If you want to prove something wrong go to wikipedia, look up the sources, and go do your own research. But based on reading the research already done, and being a molecular and cellular biology major for the last 3 years, I find the research extremely plausible. Here are some more.

For unbelievers, you can follow the sources which lead to a great article done by Wever, E. The reptile ear: Its structure and function. Princeton University Press, Princeton. 1978. I would summarize the information, but summaries are easy enough to find -> google search "the reptile ear")

QUOTED: http://www.anapsid.org/torrey.html (
So how can a snake hear, lacking external ears? By having equivalent structures on each side of its head. The skin and muscle tissue on each side of the head cover a loosely suspended bone, called the quadrate, which undergoes small displacements in response to airborne sound. The quadrate motion is transferred by intermediate structures to the cochlea, which produces electrical signals on its hair cells that correlate with the airborne sounds (within a range of intensity and frequency determined by the ear system) and are transferred to the brain.

Cochlear signals are present in functioning ears of all classes of vertebrates from fish to mammals, while animals that are congenitally deaf produce no such signals, so their presence in response to sound is taken as an indication of the hearing sense. Wever and co-workers [1] developed techniques to measure the hair-cell signals in lizards, snakes, and amphibians, which involved anesthetizing the specimen, inserting a very thin wire probe into contact with a hair cell, and measuring the acoustic signal level needed to produce a specified hair-cell signal (typically 0.1 microvolt). Various experiments were performed to demonstrate that the hair-cell signals were in direct response to airborne sound and not to mechanical vibrations from the medium on which the specimens were placed.

According to Porter [2], the auditory response of snakes in the range of 200 to 300 Hz is superior to that of cats. Hartline and Campbell [3] investigated the transmission of airborne sound through the snake's skin and lung into the inner ear. Wever's results show that this type of transmission, called the somatic mode, is much reduced compared to that through the skin to the quadrate, which is the main mode of hearing.

How are the cochlear responses to be interpreted? Wever points out that it is often difficult to determine the role of hearing in lower forms such as reptiles. It is possible that snakes make less use of the auditory sense than other animals. He notes that the maximum sensitivity occurs in the frequency range of noise made by movements of large animals, so detection of such sounds could function as a warning to snakes to be motionless, a common defensive action with animals. (Although not discussed in the references I was able to check, there is also the question of how the cochlear signals are used in the snake brain. Is it possible that the ability to process this information has been or is being lost?) So the next time you meet a snake on the Reserve trails, be careful what you say to it, for the snake may hear you.

END QUOTE

Of course this is for general snakes, but I'm sure the information would apply to cornsnakes as well.

Choco's ears have maximum sensitivity in the range a television set gives off. You should have seen him last night. I just wanted to drink a glass of wine and watch Grey's Anatomy, but Choco was standing there, begging and begging to come out too. I can't resist him.

Nanci

Attachments

• Choco 030cr800.jpg
    Choco 030cr800.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 62
nanci. do you have any other pictures of choco?? especially, do you have any other pics of him when he is wanting to come out trying to get your attention?? lol

what.jpg

Back