• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How do you feed your snakes?

How Do You Feed Your Snakes?

• Feed f/t in 24-7 housing

Votes: 57 26.5%
  • Feed live in 24-7 housing

Votes: 14 6.5%
  • Feed f/t in separate container

Votes: 134 62.3%
  • Feed live in separate container

Votes: 23 10.7%
  • Other:

Votes: 9 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

suecornish

I ask this question because Gaia is getting bigger, she's 29 grams. Right now I put her f/t in a critter carrier, wash my hands and get Gaia out. Play with her for a few minutes, weight her if she has shed and then hold her over the critter carrier until she noses down and finds the f/t and takes it. Once she starts eating I lower her into the carrier and close the lid. After she is done I put her in her tank. So, I want to know how everyone else feeds their corns.

I throw a moose in their tubs. I have a rack system, and use newspaper substrate. Nobody gets to eat if they don't strike at the mouse. I go in a huff and leave the prey item overnight if they don't strike, its always gone after a few hours :p Nothing fancy.

If they don't eat straight away, they miss out, and they know it!

I voted f/t in sep. container. I used to feed f/t and fresh stunned. Since I have my own colonies of mice now and thought colored would be cuter than white :sidestep: well it's easier to euthanise them and put them in the freezer. I don't remember how cute they were. Also parasites were a concern and since I read on this forum freezing would kill parasites, even better. susan

I house them on paper towel until they reach 30-40g. I feed them in their living enclosures while they're still on paper towel substrate. After they're switched to aspen, I feed them in separate tubs. By then, their feeding response is well-established.

F/t in a seperate little tupperware container. That way I don't need to worry about Toulouse associating any hand reaching into his tank as a food item. ^_^

f/t where they live, from hatchlings in deli's to adults in their tubs. I have one picky eater; if she doesn't eat, she gets another chance most times in a few days, or else she waits for the next go 'round. I feed our carpet python, black rat snakes, cave dwelling rat snake and Suriname red tailed boa the same way.

F/T in separate container.....I put a couple mice in a tupperware container and then I put him in. While he's still circling around the mice, I put the container in the tank and remove the lid(so he can climb out when he's done). When he's done I take the container out.

I take them out and place them into a 5g tank and dangle the dead prey ver their head with feeding tongs. they all strike at it.

Thats all I do. I also never feed live.

suecornish said:
Once she starts eating I lower her into the carrier and close the lid. After she is done I put her in her tank. So, I want to know how everyone else feeds their corns.
Most of my snakes are in a rack, each tub labelled with the snake's name. Each snake has a Sterilite shoebox feeding container with a lid. At feeding time, I pull the feeders from the freezer, put them in ziplock baggies which are weighed down in the sink under hot tap water. While I wait for the feeders to thaw, I pull snakes out of their vivs. I grab the stack of shoeboxes and pull off one at a time. I look at the name on the feeding container and pull the appropriate snake. As I pull the snake, I also pull its water bowl and drop it in a pail.

When the feeders are warm enough, I open each shoebox and drop in the correct size food. While the snakes ponder eating, I wash the water bowls. All of the snakes start off stacked in one area. As each snake eats its first mouse, I move it to another area and offer a second. If it eats a second, I move it back into its viv, checking for excrement, and replacing and refilling the water bowl. The empty shoebox gets stacked up in an "Ate 2" pile.

If a snake hasn't eaten its first mouse after an hour, I put it back into its viv and stack its shoebox separately from the ones who have eaten, in the "Ate 0" pile. Any snake that ate one but hasn't eaten the second after a half hour gets put back and the shoebox stacked in the "Ate 1" pile. As I put snakes away, I look for sheds. Any I find go into the empty feeding container.

I take each of the stacked shoeboxes over to my computer so I can record feds and sheds. Because I already separated them into eaten zero, one or two, it's easy to update my records in Scerp's database program, which I highly recommend. As I finish updating a snake's record, the shoebox gets stacked off to the side. If I find a shed in a shoebox, it reminds me to update the shed record as well.

I'm probably making this sound much more difficult than it is. By always following the same routine, I don't have to try to remember who ate what or who shed when. Not all snakes eat on the same day, though it is just the very young (less than a year) that get fed more than once a week. They are in smaller vivs than the rack, but I use a similar system. Each baby has a deli cup feeding container, again with its name, and its name is on the container it lives in, so no one gets swapped accidentally.

I have to be a stickler for names on tubs and vivs because I have several snakes that look remarkably similar. I couldn't tell some of my snakes apart without a magnifying glass. Gummi looks like Chiclet, Steve looks like Edie, and Medger looks like Lena, and a lot like Xanadu. Okay, I can tell Xanadu apart if the light is strong enough, since she's a ghost and Medger and Lena are anerys, but you get my drift. There just comes a day when you realize that you're losing track of who is who, that they change too much with each shed to "remember" what they look like: they don't look like that in their new birthday suits.

Edit: After reading the other responses, I realize I provide WAY TMI. Sorry about that. I tend to babble. :shrugs:

Last edited:
I have 3 large boxes and various smaller rubbermaid tubs. I put the snake in, dangle a f/t with tongs and feed. I can have a snake in several seperate containers and get more fed that way.

jaxom1957 said:
: After reading the other responses, I realize I provide WAY TMI. Sorry about that. I tend to babble. :shrugs:
- Not at all. I found it interesting.

I do the same as others - separate container, f/t mouse dangled for the snake to strike & eat and then back to the viv. Works well for me.

jaxom1957 said:
Edit: After reading the other responses, I realize I provide WAY TMI. Sorry about that. I tend to babble. :shrugs:

Babbling is okay. Sometimes with a lot of snakes it is easier and faster to do it assembly line fashion.

I think for reading the responses I am going to add two more selections if I can about feeding response.

DAVE FOWLER said:
- Not at all. I found it interesting.

Yeah, me too.

At this moment, I have four snakes on a five day schedule, and three on a seven day schedule, all on the same day! When the two groups fall on the same day, the five-dayers have to wait a day, so I'm not feeding all seven on the same day.

I look at my handy dandy feeding chart http://tinyurl.com/ypqp7e and thaw the appropriate number and mass of mice. Thaw in very warm water, brought up to hot at the last minute. Dry the mice on a paper towel. Slit the mice with a scissors. Put the mice in the feeding tubs. Each snake has its own tub.

Get the snake out, weigh the snake if it's been a while, put the snake in the tub. Some get covered, some don't, some get put in the laundry room, covered, with the lights off. Remove water bowls, wash and refill. Pick out poops.

Make dinner or sit out on the patio and read- recheck the snakes in 30 minutes or so. Stragglers may get left a couple hours.

If they don't eat, they get another chance on the next scheduled day. Blue snakes get left alone, unless I pull them out to feed and they're blue- then they get to eat if they want to.

Nanci

Sep. container

I use frozen in a separate container, though I put the container in the tank so that Isha can climb out when he wants to. I can't ever feed Isha live(I'd cry), but Isha doesn't seem to have ANY problem taking food when it's presented to him. :grin01:

I feed f/t in Rosie's 24/7 home. I just take them, dangle them for a second in front of her and BAM! she strikes, curls up around them and they're gone in about 5 minutes. I don't even think she lets them touch the ground =P

A Minority Opinion

I have, from the beginning, fed my snakes in their individual vivs, WITH the exceptions noted below. I do use aspen as a substrate, but have developed a protocol that avoids ingestion of the substrate. I put the prey in a container large enough for the snake to crawl into, but small enough to fit in the viv. I put the container in the viv and leave it overnight so the snake can eat at his/her leisure. I feel feeding in the viv has several advantages:

You don't stress the snake by chasing it down and putting it into a strange enclosure.
You don't risk the snake escaping.
You don't have to handle a snake after it has eaten. That aids in the snakes digestion and avoids being bitten by a snake still in hunt mode.
You don't teach the snake that it's going to eat when it comes out of the viv which makes the snake easier to handle.
It's way faster and more convenient for the multiple snake owner.​
Now, I do feed in a separate enclosure when a snake is a picky eater. I have two that I pretty much have to put in a small container with their food and leave them in a dark quiet spot to eat. One is my always contrary albino california king. She had been loose in the house for five months and it apparently traumatized her. I have had her back for about three months now and she still musks and attempts to bite every time I take her out.

Back