• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Charcoals with striping...

Rich Z

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Now this is turning out to be an interesting clutch! I've been getting dribs and drabs of animals with a different striping effect and have wondered if it was anything genetic. So this year I bred a Charcoal with this stripe effect to an Amelanistic with this same striping to see what I would get. Come to find out that she is obviously het for Charcoal as well.

Does it look like it may be genetic?

charcoal61.jpg

No complaints out of me!

Look what crawled out from underneath the vermiculite....

amelstripe61.jpg

Wonder what else is lurking in that box?

Beautiful, that box was full of surprises. Very interesting clutch. I love all these pics, it's a great learning experience.

Yes, they are Blizzards, but notice the subtle striping in them. They would probably be real interesting if they had the stripe in bright yellow. Might have to work on that a bit.

Holly man!!!!!!!

Those are very interesting and pretty snakes!!!
If you are going to adopt SilverTongue please take me home too....

That striping is nothing new to me...

I originally saw it in a friend's pair of wild-caught corns. He sold me an entire clutch in 1996 and I kept 6 of them. 4 had that striping, 3 only partial body length, and 1 almost the entire body length. Both parents had a small amount of striping.

Since I was fairly new to corns back then, I considered them zigzags, and still do. The trait acts just like the zigzag gene is supposed to do...breed alot of stripe to alot of stripe and get a high percentage of striped offspring (i.e. zigzag offspring), alot of stripe to a little stripe and get a wide range of patterned, or not, offspring, and breed striped to non-related non-striped and get the occasional striped. The first couple of breeding attempts produced that wide single stripe, but in subsequent breedings, more of the "standard" zigzag pattern emerged, and just recently, the aztec pattern has shown up. I have an unrelated zigzag that will hopefully be bred to this line next year, just to prove to myself that it is trully zigzag.

More than likely, I'll bet that these babies have a family tree that merges somewhere with your aztecs.

Keep working with them, they are beautiful snakes! That amel is a definate keeper!

If I can get a decent photo

More than likely, I'll bet that these babies have a family tree that merges somewhere with your aztecs.

Darn, I should have bet with you! Nope, not even remotely related to the Aztecs. Came out of my Blizzards, of all things. Didn't show up until I bred an Amelanistic from my Blizzards into my Okeetees to start my original Amel Okeetee line. Then later on they showed up in my Lavender x Blizzard project as well. Hmm, I'll have to check my Butter x Blizzard project to see if that effect is showing up there too.

Will you be selling either the amel stripe or the charcoal stripes?

I'll be keeping the amels and probably the two best Charcoals. Not sure about the Blizzards. Might be worth keeping some of the Blizzards just for the novelty of the striping effect when I breed them into something else. I may just take some to the Daytona show and put a high price tag on them and see what happens.

Good work

Hey Rich u do some good work I got a Fluorescent and a Type A from your 2002 hatch...they are doing great they look amazing and they feed very well
Thanks for being one of the good Breeders out there

Back