• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Substrate poll

What kind of substrate do you use!

• Aspen shaving

Votes: 57 47.1%
  • Reptibark

Votes: 24 19.8%
  • Cage Carpet

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Sand

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Paper towels

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • Vermiculite (spelling??)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • other.... and please tell wich

Votes: 16 13.2%

• Total voters

B-J@y

Hi, I was wondering what kind of substrate is used! i use repti bark, and soon i will switch to coconut bark!

I have seen different kind of substrates like aspen shavings, reptibark, cage carpet, sand, paper towels and something like vermiculite?? (don't know the spelling)

I live in the Netherlands and can't picture something with cagecarpet or aspen shavings! so i would like to see some pictures from the substrates pls!

Now here is the poll!

I use corn cob and paper towels. They stay on corn cob, but I usually move them to a plastic shoebox with papertowels to feed. I also usually keep newborns on paper towels, usually for about the first six monthes or so atleast.

aspen and paper...

aspen for the older snakes and paper towels for the youngsters... :) ---jim

corn cob is just that, ground up and dried corn cobs. Most pet stores sell it. Its fairly cheap. It absorbs messes well, unlike some others which just turn in to a mess when water gets spilled, corn cob usually soaks it up, and you just have to remove the damp corn cob in one small area. But you have to be careful, and make sure you actually change all of it from time to time, because some nasty stuff can creep in there if you dont watch out.

Repti-bark currently, but considering switching to aspen.

I wouldn't use corn cob because once part of it gets wet it is a prime breeding ground for bacteria. The microscopic corn dust acts the same way that rice would if it was used for a substrate (see the rice substrat thread).

Last edited:
Im not an expert on the matter, so youre probably right, however, i used to work at this huge nature/science center, and the folks who worked there insisted corn cob was the way to go(gave me all kinds of reason, almost none of which i remember.) Anyways, thats pretty much why i started using it. The bacteria problem is one i have seen, or i guess recognized is a better word, but seems to me that bacteria is going to be there one way or the other. Unless maybe you use papertowels and constantly change them, which is what i do with new hatchlings and snakes that appear ill.

I think I read on Melissa Kaplan's site that corn cob dries out snakes' dermal tissues. My bio teacher uses corn cob for his snakes and I see them taking baths all the time. And on the package it says "not for reptile use." Oh well they still do all right on it.
I used to use paper towels because it was really easy to spot poop. I switched to aspen because it seemed like he wanted to burrow. He LOVES tunneling around and stays buried under the substrate itself all the time. THe only problem is that I can't see where the poop is right away and the nice smell of the aspen covers up the poopy smell so I can't find the poop unless I shuffle around the aspen. It doesn't feel very nice to stumble across a nice fresh clump of aspen and poop, let me tell you. But I use it because it makes him happy. Anything for my snake! ;) :)

I use aspen for all....it's easy to clean and looks nice too.

Good Luck and Happy Herping!

corncob

Ok, the heck with all of you, corn cob until the day I die. And because you guys are so wrong, im leaving this forum.

PS. just kidding, changed em all over to aspen last night, couldnt believe the amount of dust built up in the bottom of the tank. THanks.

Can anyone tell me what aspen shaving is?! I know Aspen is some sort of a tree, and shavings??? i do have a cleu!! isn't it the same stuff that rabits and hamsters have in there cage?!! can anyone post a pic of there tank with aspen shavings?!??

Pic of Aspen

This is the only pic I have with Aspen in it. Usually Pine is used for rodents. I use Pine for my Guinea Pigs, not my snakes. Hope this helps.

:) Alicia

Attachments

• blip 4.jpg
    blip 4.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 220
That is Blip my other Creamsicle. I have 2 creams and they are very diff. I bought Blip as a female but she is really a he. He is a really nice snake. Thanks for the compliment.

:) Alicia

ps: That is not his regular home I put him and his hide in there while I was cleaning his home:)

thank you Alicia!!!!!!!!

now al i have to do is to find out what aspen is for a tree... the dutch word for it!

subsrate??

WOW just checked out the results,use paper towels myself,but not for long,i live in the uk where can i get aspen PLEASE....

STEVE..AKA........snakemanone.

Beach Chip or sometimes Hemp

I believe these are the best as Aspen is messy and in the UK you can't get it (beach chip is like the equivelent).

For easy use and cleaning, plus being extremely cheap (I get all mine free from my parents), I use newspaper for all my snakes.

I have a mixture of bed-a-beast and tiny aspen shavings in the tank. My baby corn blends in perfectly with it. and it's good for it to burrow through too which it likes to do.

Back