• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Substrate poll

What kind of substrate do you use!

• Aspen shaving

Votes: 57 47.1%
  • Reptibark

Votes: 24 19.8%
  • Cage Carpet

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Sand

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Paper towels

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • Vermiculite (spelling??)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • other.... and please tell wich

Votes: 16 13.2%

• Total voters
Carefresh bedding.
My cornsnakes love to burrow in it like moles!
Plus, it has a pleasing appearance.

Sometimes, papertowels and when I run out of either, shredded paper. (newspaper, that is)

It's all preference.

Somebody is using sand! Shame on them! Snakes and sand don't mix very well. Sand boas aren't even recommended to be on sand!

Oh well. I use aspen shavings. I used newspaper at first, but it was a pain because the snakes kept hiding underneath it.

I used for a while a carpet cage, but that thing looks good but is not ptratical. Now I am using paper towels. I think make easier to spot, poops and any kind of trouble like a regurgitation.

scorpion king,

can you explain to me a little bit of why the carpet isn't practical. I saw some in the store for only $10 bucks, figured all i would need is two sets (so one can be used while the other is being cleaned) seemed like it would be pretty cheap and easy......

so one can be used while the other is being cleaned
Thats the way to do it. Having two so changing out the cage carpeting is quick and effiecient. More than a couple, few tanks and cage carpeting can become a hassle.
Not something I enjoy, cleaning snake poop off of things. The thrill is gone. ;)

I've grown quite fond of disposible substrates... recycled, when possible.

I use newspaper as a primarily Corn Snake substrate with Paper towels reserved for youngin's in shoe boxes.

I stock up on paper towels when the local grocery store chain has the 4 rolls for a dollar sale once or twice a year. Very inexpensive to use, if you buy right.

Newspaper is free for the asking from your neighbors, if one doesn't "get" the paper themselves. :)

You know what. CowBoy Way I think that is the shortest awnser you ever put.
Amazing
Everybody get your camera,
start taking pictures.:D

Well right now I'm using carpet, I only have the two snakes, but after reading this thread I believe I'm going to change to Aspen. But both my snakes are small is this sitll ok?

newspaper

the substrate of quanity keepers!

Well right now I'm using carpet, I only have the two snakes, but after reading this thread I believe I'm going to change to Aspen. But both my snakes are small is this sitll ok?

Aspen is fine for babies, they love to burrow so don't make the mistake of putting too much in. One inch should be enough to ward off the heart attack they will give you when you are sifting through it to get the little beastie and you can't find them! (They will be in the very last unearthed place in the viv, guaranteed.)

I use newspaper or shredded aspen(not shaved). Thats it except for my big girls(pits) I use cypress or shaved aspen as they are messy.

I keep all my snakes on aspen. I put in nice thick layers, even in my babies vivs. They love it.

Back