• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus

Roy Munson

Garth and Gretchen are '07 Eastern black-necked garter snakes produced by Joanna D. (Jodu). I'm obsessed with them, and they're leading me down a dark path to other garter obsession. I'm already seriously considering picking up a pair of Puget Sound blues and maybe a pair of flame Easterns or Oregon red-spotteds in the spring. These two are GREAT feeders, and they were easy to convert to split pinks (albeit fish-scented).

My "favorite snake" can change from day to day. These are my favorite looking snakes at the moment. Love everything about them. :)

Attachments

• 111007 garth (1).JPG
    111007 garth (1).JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 111007 gretchen (2).JPG
    111007 gretchen (2).JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 111007 garth (8).JPG
    111007 garth (8).JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 111007 gretchen (7).JPG
    111007 gretchen (7).JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 111007 garth (16).JPG
    111007 garth (16).JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 98
They are so beautiful! There was a table at Daytona FULL of all different kinds of them. Are they muskers?

Nanci

Nice! I have a pair of albino garters.. I think they're checkered.. not sure..? I can't get one of them to eat earthworms which annoys me but he's nice.
Other than that, yours are really cute! Good luck with them!

Wow!! I like that little one. I have a pair of Checkered, one albino and the other het albino. I like them so much that I've been think of adding other garters to my collection.

Very cool! I really like their black heads. :cool::cool:

I can understand why you're getting attatched to them. I used to love catching garter's when I was a kid. Seeing them brings a childish grin to my face (Fond memories of my mother screaming at me to get those @#!% snakes out of the house!). :laugh01:

They are so beautiful! There was a table at Daytona FULL of all different kinds of them. Are they muskers?
Thanks Nanci. :) I need to stay far away from any table that's FULL of different garters. I'm weak right now. :uhoh:

These guys musk, but to me, it's much milder than the musk of the Eastern garters I'm used to catching around here in New England. It's milder even than my MBKs' musk, and I don't find their musk all that offensive.

SnakesRule1234 said:
Nice! I have a pair of albino garters.. I think they're checkered.. not sure..? I can't get one of them to eat earthworms which annoys me but he's nice.
Other than that, yours are really cute! Good luck with them!
Thanks Paulina (you are Paulina, right? You have a similar username on Fauna, correct?). :) I really like the albino checkereds too. What do you feed the one that won't eat worms? I don't know why, but I hate playing around with worms as prey items. Have you tried those rosy red feeder fish (a.k.a. toughies, or tuffies; dunno how to spell it)? This pair loves those fish, but mice are really the most nutritious thing for garters, if you can get them to take them. You'll have to post pics of your pair.

reptile_jones said:
Wow!! I like that little one. I have a pair of Checkered, one albino and the other het albino. I like them so much that I've been think of adding other garters to my collection.
Thanks Dusty. :cheers: I'd like to see your checkered pair too. These garters ARE addictive. The only drawback is that their lifespans are kind of short relative to many pet snakes. I guess ten years is about the limit.

Very cool! I really like their black heads. :cool::cool:

I can understand why you're getting attatched to them. I used to love catching garter's when I was a kid. Seeing them brings a childish grin to my face (Fond memories of my mother screaming at me to get those @#!% snakes out of the house!). :laugh01:
Thank you, Jon. :D Yeah, I used to really like catching them as a kid too. Almost everyone I knew was afraid of snakes, so I could play the hero. :grin01:

They are beautiful!!

My VERY first snake ever was a little garter... they are just so neat!

Mikey-mo-joejpged.jpg

... Almost everyone I knew was afraid of snakes, so I could play the hero. :grin01:

Hero or heathen? The little boy next door would run away from me as if the devil himself were on his heels. I'd wager I was the latter to him. :laugh01:

:cheers:

Thanks Paulina (you are Paulina, right? You have a similar username on Fauna, correct?). :) I really like the albino checkereds too. What do you feed the one that won't eat worms? I don't know why, but I hate playing around with worms as prey items. Have you tried those rosy red feeder fish (a.k.a. toughies, or tuffies; dunno how to spell it)? This pair loves those fish, but mice are really the most nutritious thing for garters, if you can get them to take them. You'll have to post pics of your pair.

Yes, I'm Paulina... :p
I feed him those rosy reds, but they're called plain old guppies at the pet store. I like worms better, I just cut a little piece of, put in kritter keeper and she eats. With the male, sheesh! He won't eat at all! I have to put the fish near his mouth just so he'll eat! Annoys me, but he has to eat, and he's still sooo small. Hatchlings I believe, maybe 4-6 months old. I heard that having fish as a stable food supply is bad, not sure why, nutriton or something. Checkerds also don't usually eat fish in the wild, that's why. He's just used to eating them I guess.

Yes, I'm Paulina... :p
I feed him those rosy reds, but they're called plain old guppies at the pet store. I like worms better, I just cut a little piece of, put in kritter keeper and she eats. With the male, sheesh! He won't eat at all! I have to put the fish near his mouth just so he'll eat! Annoys me, but he has to eat, and he's still sooo small. Hatchlings I believe, maybe 4-6 months old. I heard that having fish as a stable food supply is bad, not sure why, nutriton or something. Checkerds also don't usually eat fish in the wild, that's why. He's just used to eating them I guess.
Most of the literature I've read says that garters can be maintained on earthworms or fish as long as you occasionally use a vitamin supplement. I believe that rosy reds and guppies are ok, even as a staple, because they don't contain the enzyme thiaminase that is found in goldfish and other feeder fish. I guess that enzyme destroys vitamin B1, causing deficiencies in the snake. If you can convert them to rodents, they won't need supplements. I was in a hurry to switch mine to rodents because I'm lazy (didn't want to supplement), and I always have plenty of rodents in the ol' freezer! :)

... I was in a hurry to switch mine to rodents because I'm lazy (didn't want to supplement), and I always have plenty of rodents in the ol' freezer! :)

Out of curiosity, was it hard to switch them over to pinks? I'd have to guess that it's about the same as getting picky eaters to take pinks by anole scenting... :shrugs:

Don't you have to cut pieces of the rodent though? I'm not sure I could do that, a little... extreme for me. Once they are big enough though, I will switch them for sure. :)
Oh, do you know what kind of supplement?

Nice looking snakes!!!!
I love garters, I happen to have one right now and it is a PIG!!!! eats more than my other snakes. lol

Out of curiosity, was it hard to switch them over to pinks? I'd have to guess that it's about the same as getting picky eaters to take pinks by anole scenting... :shrugs:
It CAN be difficult from what I've read, but I didn't have a problem. Their first couple of meals with me were live rosy red minnows and/or guppies. Then I placed a split pink (cut in half, right down the back) in with a live feeder fish for the next meal. Then I made a minnowsicle, and now I let the fish-cube thaw a little and I swish the pink-half around in it before I offer it. I haven't been brave enough to try unscented yet. The fish-cube method is so easy that I'm reluctant to give it up until they're well established. Of course, my experience is VERY limited, so I wouldn't draw any general conclusions from it.

SnakesRule1234 said:
Don't you have to cut pieces of the rodent though? I'm not sure I could do that, a little... extreme for me. Once they are big enough though, I will switch them for sure.
Oh, do you know what kind of supplement? :)
Yeah, if the snakes are under about 5g, they probably can't eat even the smallest pink. But to be honest, I'm kind of squeamish about dicing up pinks myself, but if you cut them lengthwise in half (right down the back) while the pink's frozen, it is surprisingly un-messy. I do that, then I dry thaw them. I put the pink halves in a little plastic cup and float the cup in a larger cup of very hot water. Then I swish them in the fish juice (see above), and offer them. Even though my garters are only about 4g, or maybe a little more, they both ate two pink halves earlier tonight. The total weight of each meal was about 1.5g (equivalent to a small whole pink). And boy did they look stuffed afterward. I think you could handle the cutting. Believe me, I'm not into the extreme stuff either-- if I can do it, you can do it. :)

I haven't read of any particular brand of supplement being recommended for garters. I imagine that Rep-Cal's Herptivite is suitable, and it's available almost everywhere. I know it contains vitamin B1, which should help combat the thiaminase business I mentioned in my earlier post.

And speaking of thiaminase, I did some more research, and some sources say that red minnows are chock full of it, while other sources say that they don't have it. I don't know who to believe on that one. I guess that trout, salmon, pike, bass, and many other sports fish don't have it. But if your snakes demand live fish, those are out. I also read that if you offer a worm-exclusive diet, you need to supplement with calcium as well as vitamins. And you shouldn't use trout worms (I think they're also known as red wrigglers or composting worms). I guess cut-up nightcrawlers are best as far as worms go.

Those rodents are sounding better and better, eh? ;)

Yeah, if the snakes are under about 5g, they probably can't eat even the smallest pink. But to be honest, I'm kind of squeamish about dicing up pinks myself, but if you cut them lengthwise in half (right down the back) while the pink's frozen, it is surprisingly un-messy. I do that, then I dry thaw them. I put the pink halves in a little plastic cup and float the cup in a larger cup of very hot water. Then I swish them in the fish juice (see above), and offer them. Even though my garters are only about 4g, or maybe a little more, they both ate two pink halves earlier tonight. The total weight of each meal was about 1.5g (equivalent to a small whole pink). And boy did they look stuffed afterward. I think you could handle the cutting. Believe me, I'm not into the extreme stuff either-- if I can do it, you can do it. :)

I haven't read of any particular brand of supplement being recommended for garters. I imagine that Rep-Cal's Herptivite is suitable, and it's available almost everywhere. I know it contains vitamin B1, which should help combat the thiaminase business I mentioned in my earlier post.

And speaking of thiaminase, I did some more research, and some sources say that red minnows are chock full of it, while other sources say that they don't have it. I don't know who to believe on that one. I guess that trout, salmon, pike, bass, and many other sports fish don't have it. But if your snakes demand live fish, those are out. I also read that if you offer a worm-exclusive diet, you need to supplement with calcium as well as vitamins. And you shouldn't use trout worms (I think they're also known as red wrigglers or composting worms). I guess cut-up nightcrawlers are best as far as worms go.

Those rodents are sounding better and better, eh? ;)

I'm going to the pet store tomorrow, I have to get feeders and I'm having a new comer so I'll buy some frozen pinkies... or if my mice produce I could use those.. (I see the female is a little more plump than usual) I will try... I hope I'll survive... :uhoh:
I have supplements for my gecko so I'll use that for now...

Thanks alot! :bowdown:

Great looking snake! "I'm weak" cracks me up. I know exactly what you mean. I went to my first reptile show and it took my daughter saying "I want to pet it", my son saying "I want to but it" and my wife burning holes in the back of my neck, which meant "you better not buy that", to keep me from my weakness! LOL

Dean they are looking great! I love hearing about other peoples garters as well.

I have had good luck switching garters to rodents but there are definitely some that will resist more than others and there are some that can not be switched. I have been very lucky.

I laugh now when people talk about being squeamish. When I first got into this wild hobby I would not touch the pinks or the worms and my husband would cut them. Then when it became clear that I was the one that was becoming the snake nut I took over the job but would only hand the food items with tongs or gloves. All that is out the window now! I can cut my own worms, fish, or pinks and all without gloves or tongs!

Keep posting photos. I get so much pleasure from seeing "my babies". They should start to grow faster now that they are taking the pinks.

Back