• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus

Garth and Gretchen are '07 Eastern black-necked garter snakes produced by Joanna D. (Jodu). I'm obsessed with them, and they're leading me down a dark path to other garter obsession. I'm already seriously considering picking up a pair of Puget Sound blues and maybe a pair of flame Easterns or Oregon red-spotteds in the spring. These two are GREAT feeders, and they were easy to convert to split pinks (albeit fish-scented).
They are dandies compared to the garter snakes I've caught in my life. So sharp. I'm glad you're going to be going through a garter snake phase so I can watch and learn. :cheers:

Wow, they sure are pretty little things! I love some of the bright colors you see on garters, but never felt the need to own one. Looking forward to seeing more pics of the pair though... :)

Jenn

Wow, they sure are pretty little things! I love some of the bright colors you see on garters, but never felt the need to own one. Looking forward to seeing more pics of the pair though... :)

Jenn

I think I'm all gartered-out from childhood. Not saying I wouldn't catch and release one, just for fun. I sure love them, though. Just the smell brings back such wonderful memories of walking slowly through meadows (they're out there catching grasshoppers) lifting every log/shingle/cardboard piece, hoping to see one crossing a road or basking. So easy to find. Easy to catch- man, I got bit a lot! Ten minutes later, though, you have a prefectly handleable friend.

Speaking of being squeamish, or just not wanting to feed animals, I had a couple friends over last night. One asked the other if she had ever had snakes, and she said yes, one, but after it was gone she never wanted to own an animal that ate other animals again. And I'm thinking, "But you eat LIVER!!" I guess cats and dogs don't count.

Don't nightcrawlers carry parasites?

Nanci

Cool looking garters Dean! I live through you for all the snakes you have, that I just don't have the room for. So feel free to update on these two frequently ;)

Roy Munson;52750Thanks Dusty. :cheers: I'd like to see your checkered pair too. These garters ARE addictive. The only drawback is that their lifespans are kind of short relative to many pet snakes. I guess ten years is about the limit.[/QUOTE said:
They just ate, so give me a few days and I'll have photos.

Awesome to see updates of these guys. Right now I am living vicariously through you....
That table at Daytona that Nanci mentioned was very appealing to me and I have a feeling somewhere down the road I may end up picking some up myself.

Those garters are just adorable. I used to love catching them when I was little. And this last summer I had a baby that was living in my greenhouse on all the slugs and baby frogs...he didn't like to get watered though. Once it started getting really hot he moved out. :( It always made moving pots around exciting though.

One thing about garters is they REALLY don't like being caught by bare toes that are walking across the lawn. I was moving plants at Mom's and talking so I wasn't really watching the ground. Felt something between my toes. I had caught Ms. Sneaky Snake between my toes, looked down and saw her madly biting my toe, scared the daylights out of me. Probably her as well. I though Mom was going to pee her pants she was laughing so hard.

Anyway great snakes with many wonderful memories associated with them.

Shannon

Back